I survived a horrible accident in a "bathtub" Nash

My Dad would buy a new Nash every two years even though he worked for a GM plant.  He liked them because they made into a bed and the family could sleep in the car when we travelled or went camping.  His father worked for Nash Kelvinator in Grand Rapids, MI so family members were able to buy the Nash line of cars at a discount.

He bought a new Ambassador in 1953.  It was grey and was huge.  We took a trip to New Hamshire to visit relatives and travelled through Canada to get there.  My Dad was driving, my Mom was sitting sideways facing Dad and my sister and I were in the back seat.  I was 8 and my sister was 6.

It was raining very hard in Canada and as we came around a curve we hit a Canadian car head on.  The Canadians were on the wrong side of the road!

That Ambassador saved our lives!  My sister and I hit the backs of the front seat and were knocked out.  My mother his the windshield and had multiple lacerations to the right side of her face.  My Dad hit the steering wheel and it folded in a butterfly shape.  He had a large cut to his chin.

The police told us that the five Canadians who hit us sustained over a dozen fractures between them and all of them lived.  I do not remember what kind of car they were driving though.

I will tell anyone today that the Nash Ambassador was a very safe car.  No broken bones for us!