65 electra question

65 buick electra 225

what other motor can fit in this car with the existing tranny, i would like to know if any motor would fit from other makes or newer engines that could fit

thanx

jr

Guest John Chapman

Previous post was correct... the engine-transmission bolt pattern is specific for the nailhead engines and there are no adaptors readily available....

So, reasonable choices are:

[*]Rebuild what you have... Nailheads are a bit costlier to overhaul than motors from a lesser make.. but worth it in the end

[*]Find a later Buick engine and trasmission to install, like a 455/TH400 combo. I don't think it's a direct bolt in, but you should be able to accomplish it without undue effort.

[*]Keep the car all Buick. Value of the vehicle drops markedly when you plant another make motor in it. I cringe when I see an otherwise nice old Buick with a Chivvy motor that was dropped in because the owner just didn't take the time to learn about Buick engines!

Just my $0.02....

JMC

THE REASON IS CAUSE I HAVENT REALLY HAD TIME TO LOOK INTO IT, SINCE I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR LAST MONTH. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE IT A LOWRIDER WITH HYDRAULICS.

THE MOTOR STARTS BUT SMOKE COMES OUT OF THE FILTER IN THE VALVE COVER, AND IDLES VERY ROUGH AS IF IT WAS RUNNING ON 6-7 CYLINDERS. MAYBE I JUST NEED TO CLEAN IT OUT A LITTLE.

BUT LETS NOT FORGET THE CAR HASNT RUN SINCE 1986, SO ANY IDEA ON WHAT IT COULD BE?

Guest John Chapman

laugh.gif Smoke out of the breather filter on the valve cover indicates the PCV is stuck closed. If it hasn't run since '86, you need to do a number of things: oil/filter change, check the plugs and points, change all the other filters and possibly rebuild the carb. The rough idle/miss could be caused by any number of things, so clear the easy ones first. Check/replace all the vacuum hoses and coolant hoses. Do a compression check....

mad.gif You're gonna take a nice old Electra and make what out of it? That's what old Chivvies are for, man!

yeah, but the guy who i bought it from said he did points, carb kit, plugs, compression test (all good xcpt for 1 slightly lower), but my guess could be wires are old as heck. and yeah i know the true quality of buicks, but man that long sukker has to sit on the ground. pcv huh, well thanx for info and i will surely look into it when i have time.

its true that there isnt much in the lowrider scene here in the east coast, especially in canada, there must be like only around a hundred in canada. im talking hydraulics and all. but thats just the way i am, i like to have something that no one has.

its always been my style, for example

my first car 1977 super beetle, wide body kit porche wing slammed

jeep 89 yj 35 boggers 3 in lift , and im a city boy

280 zx turbo

1977 rabbit just last year , sold it

and the list goes on .....

1965 buick electra 225 current project, my fav so far!