1946 Transmission removal with engine out

duke-of-steel

Hello,

after some years of rest to the project i am currently in a fast forward mode.

I have taken out the motor inkl. bell housing and made one working engine out of two.

Also had a spare transmission (3-on a tree) that i overhauled. I have left the old transmission in the car when pulling the motor, as it seemed the easier move.

The removal of the transmission in the manual only describes when motor is in the car (normal situation), not when engine is already out. So i have two general questions:

1)

Do i need to remove the rear crossmember (where the center rod is linked) to remove the transmission?

(i removed all studs from transmission mount/motor mount and the torque ball retainer)

Do i still need the rear axle to be pulled out? (currently the rear is on jack stands underneath the axel)

If not, shall i support the drive shaft tube with a jack to get weight of the transmission?

Is their enough room for the transmission to go forward in order to slip from the transmission yoke?

2)

When dropping the engine back in, shall i install the transmission in car, or link it to engine prior to remount?

Thanks to the forum for any help

I would take the torque tube loose where it bolts to the back of the transmission, leave the torque ball in place, then with the mount and linkage removed the tranny should pull forward from the torque tube, supporting the torque tube is a good idea. Not sure if you need to remove tranny crossmember, but may make it easier.  I would have the tranny assembled to engine to install..  My `36 has leaf springs and shackles which let the rear-end move backwards to seperate torque tube from transmission. I think normally with the `46, you have to support the car under the frame and take the rear-end assembly loose and roll it back for transmission removal and installation. Do you have a shop manual?

Hello

and thanks for the quick and usefull reply. Read your instruction on Friday and wanted to directly implement over the weekend, but bad weather kept me away from the project, so will have to try during coming week. Will give feedback once done. Hope that i dont have to remove the rea-end, as a few bolts are pretty rusted and i fear i snap them and have more work to do...

Yes i do have a shop manual, which will help if i have to remove the rea end, but not with the combination of trans out with engine already removed. 

I guess that if i mount the trans to the engine before setting in the chassis i will have to remove the rear cross member, as the angle is going to be so steep that i wont get it leveled before the trans is near the cross member.

anyway i´ll try and let you know.