55 Spl engine swap

Guest kevin

Can anyone recommend a small block engine (chevy 327-350 or later Buick) swap for the existing 264. Is there a later tranny (turbo 350 or other) that will also work?? I'm planning to use my 55 for daily driving and want something that will be easier to service & get parts for--Thanks

Guest oldtimer

you also have to remember that your car has a inclosed driveshaft. so the engine,trans,driveshaft and rear end have to be replaced. i have a `50 that i'm planing to put a 455/700r4/9" combo in. so happy cutting.........

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Rebuild your '55 engine. You won't regret it. <BR>It keeps the car original, plus you can get parts easily, you just need to know from where.<P>I rebuilt my '55 engine. I drove from Chicago to the last two nationals, (Columbus, and Richmond). In the trunk was an extra fuel pump, water pump, starter, generator, voltage regulator. Not to mention the standard items, like water hoses, belts, fluids, and repair items like gastet sealer, etc.<P>Once you start to modify your car, you are un-engineering waht the factory spent years engineering. I know there are many advancments on the newer and polular engines, but if you do a good job on your rebuild, and keep spare parts, with you, you should not have any serious problems.<P>I would not hesitate to drive my car anywhere in the US.<P>Scott

If you plan to use it for a daily driver, I would definitely recommend the Pertronix distributor modification to eliminate the old breaker points. I did this on my 57 Special and am very glad I did.<P>Another thing you may want to consider is the Holley Projection fuel injection system. I see this advertised, but I have never heard an actual testimonial for how well it performs. As you remember, the old carburetors are a real nuisance on cold mornings. How we have forgetten mechanical chokes and how poorly the cars drive for the first 5 miles or so. The Holley system is not cheap and it does require a fuel tank modification for the fuel pump.<P>If anyone out there has experience with this system, I sure would like to hear how they have done.<P>A really well rebuilt 322 with all of the mods that have been suggested, and a trunk full of spare parts, should be a wonderful driving package.<P>Those old nailheads are such neat engines. I sure hate to see our cars repowered with Chevy engines. How absolutely uninspirational!! I think by virtue of us owning Buicks, we like things just a little different. So why would we want a Chevy engine? They are good engines and there is a lot of good to say about them, but lets try to keep some of our Buick in our Buicks!

Thanks for the replies. Yes,I like to keep things original but I have a rebuilt 350 and Turbo 350 in the garage that we(Kevin my 15 yr old and I) were hoping to "drop in". It looks like we'll be rebuilding the 264 & Dynaflow--

well, dropping in the finished chevy would certainly be easier, IF it was a drop in. its NOT. the torque tube rear end is a flaming pain on these.<P>i recommend you rebuild the existing motor, or look for the 322, since it is direct replacement.<P>of course, if you want to convert to a standard rear end, look at a later model firebird or camaro. they have a torque arm setup that is much like the buick one in design. it will require some cutting and welding brackets and the like, so you better be sure of you welding skills.<P>or, you could do what i did, and completely replace the frame and floorpan with one from a 70's or 80's car. (i put a 73 riviera under my 50)<P>allan

Kevin, I just got my entire drivetrain redone....parts are to be had, most arent the local corner shop stock....but it is out there and not too hard to finf....keep the nailhead and rear stock....much more of a headache and money to jerk the drivetrain and start from scratch.<BR> If you want a bigger motor...go for a 322....lotsa UMPH and is stock too!!!<P> Questions??? drop me an E @ dlw29@hotmail.com<P> don55