Location of a heater control valve 1968 430???

jannelu

I have a 1968 430 engine in my 1967 Electra.

There is no heater control valve installed...

According to my 1967 chassis service manual the heater control valve shall be located behind the carburator, on the intake manifold against the firevall..

I have checked there, but i cant find any hole with a thread where the heater valve will fit, just a small vacuum hose and the crankcase ventilator hose.

There is a threaded hole in front of the carburator with a hose leading to the heater system, is the heater valve located there on 1968 engines??

Is it a different cooling system between 1967 and 1968??

Can the heater valve be attached just between the hose leading to the heater system, hanging freely or may my intake manifold be from another year??

Jannelu

I have a 68 Wildcat with the original 430. As stated, the heater control valve is behind the carb ( or you could describe the location

as the back of the intake manifold ). A heater hose goes from it to the heater core. There is also a little vacuum hose.

On my 73 Electra the threaded hole going into the intake is in front of the carb. Are you sure you got a 68 engine and intake?

My '68 LeSabre with a 350-4bbl also has the heater control "water valve" behind the carburetor. According to my '68 Buick factory Service Manual, the '68 430 and 350 4bbl motors have that valve in the same location behind the carbutetor. BUT the valves are NOT the same valve--the GM parts manual shows two different part numbers for valves that look the same, EXCEPT the 430 valve is a tad taller than the 350 valve for some reason. The 430 valve will work in the 350 with no problems other than you'll need a few extra circular gaskets (common Q-Jet carb to air cleaner gaskets) between the carb and air cleaner to space the air cleaner up slightly, otherwise it will be cocked slightly front to back.

On my '68 350, it appears that the part of the intake manifold casting that the valve screws into CAN be very fragile as it's pretty thin between the casting's edge and the hole the water valve screws into. It looks like a litle too much resistance in installing the valve could result in it cracking out. I suspect the 430 manifold might be similar just as the other heater hose hooks to the front of the engine.

As it takes two heater hoses to make the heater work, if one of the hoses is attached at the front of the engine, where is your other heater hose attached (other than to the heater core)? Just curious.

It could be that installing a more common hose nipple in the intake manifold on those Buick engines might be a better alternative than having the valve directly installed into the manifold. There is an S-10 heater hose with a right angle molded into it, but I'm not sure if the size is correct for those Buicks. This way, an inline water valve from another GM application could be put in and the hole in the intake manifold would be less of an issue to me. It would be easier to change too.

Just some thoughts on that issue that might explain why the intake manifold might have been changed--if it indeed has.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

That was interesting!!

Yes i am sure that the block is from 68, i checked it last winter.

I also assumed that the manifold was from 68 as the kickdown switch, dashpot etc fitted perfect..

I will check if the intake manifold is from some other year...

How does the heater valve fit in front of the carb?

I dont think that it will fit on my car as I think that the aircleaner is in the way..

Thanks for your reply...

I will be away for a couple of days now, i am going away for a short holyday trip...

Thanks

Jannelu

Maybe your 68 intake came from a non A/C car because cars without A/C do not have a water valve. 67 and 68 intakes are different but the heater hose is located at the same place behind the carburator. If you decide to put the original type water valve you could simply remove the hose fitting and install the new valve in place or if you decide to put a universal water valve don't forget that you need one that opens when vacuum is applied (the opposite is more common). This is true at least for cars with manual A/C. I think that cars with "Buick Automatic" climate control use a different type of valve.