1997 Oldsmobile Achieva info needed

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Does anyone here own a 1992-1998 Oldsmobile Achieva? Today, my grandfather bought a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva 4dr. It has the 2.4L 4-cyl engine. The car has 116,000 miles. He got a really, really good deal on it. Has original paint, excellent interior, but has very, very minor hail damage. Is a white car, so it is not too noticable. We are not familiar with these cars and have not had time to read the books on it. Is there any owners here of these cars that can tell me what problems we can expect? Anything that should be changed or checked at these miles? The car runs very good, but obviously not nearly as powerful as his 1990 Mazda 929 with the 3.0 V6. I think it will make my grandparents a very good car. Thanks.

Main problems to watch for would be a water pump or head gasket. The '97s still had some of the water pump/head gasket issues that the older 2.3L Quad 4's did. Other than that, there really aren't any severe issues with them.

hey everyone im new to this board first post i have a 94 2.3 quad 4 and the olny problem i have had so far with it is the coil back housing when bad, and it was casuing really bad hesitation it got so bad it wouldnt even go took it off 60 bucks at tops and 20minits to put it back to gether and she ran beautifly

• 1 month later...

Had 1995 Achieva 2.3L Quad 4 until this spring

Got it with 32K and drove it to 134K

only problems were oil pressure relief valve sticking. Had it replaced

and in very cold weather(-20 and below) oil air separator would freeze and then crankcase pressure increased and blew oil out of every seal. found out at the end after replacing a couple that there is a wire which is made to heat the oil air separator and keep this from happening I think mine went bad.

was a good car. Have fun

• 9 years later...