Timing adjustment

Made In Michigan

My 37 ME-31 has a freshly rebuilt 228 flathead and I would like to know how to adjust the timing. Also, where does it need to be set at?  4 degrees advanced? The machine shop had it running really good on the stand, but it now seams like the timing might be off. Do I hook up the timing light like any other vehicle? Its original six volt positive ground 

It's been thirty years since I had a flathead doge so I don't remember exactly how the distributor is fastened in place.  If it is running you don't really need a timing light, vacuum gauge or dwell meter. With the engine fully warmed up. Loosen the hold down on the dist, start the engine and slowly rotate the dist one way and then the other until you find the smoothest spot.  Tighten the clamp down and go for a drive.  When I worked for GM our best tune up man set the timing to specs and then he always took the vehicle for a drive and fine tuned the timing on the road.  He had far fewer come backs than the mechanics that went strictly by the book.