dodge speedo identification

Hi, Nice website. can anyone identify or steer me in the right direction to find out what this speedo fits. and what years also. I have a JPEG photo of it, and have more photos if needed. it says "Type 3850" on the back. Thanks chip

Guest leadfoot

Type 3850 NE speedo is correct for my DB, for sure. Tonight will look at the 1927 parts manual, which has a NorthEast addendum and give you the coverage for 3850 and its precedessor and successor. Just off the top of my head, 3850 was used from around 1920 to mid 20s.

Guest leadfoot

Dodge Brothers started using NorthEast Model E, Type 3850 speedos approximately Sept. 1922. This speedo appears to be the primary (passenger cars) unit used by DB until sometime in 1927, when they switched to NE Model EF. Prior to the NorthEast units, DB used Johns Mansville speedometers.<P>In 1922 there were three different Model E types, each of which came in a Mile and Kilometer version. Type 3870 and 3871 are white face units with a different mounting face and appear to be for commerical vehicles. DB had at least 11 speedo gear box setups to handle different rear axle and tire size combos, all of which look to be for Graham Brothers trucks.

• 4 years later...
Guest AussieJohn

Hi guys .. I have this model speedo in my '23 tourer, it is in miles ..and am wanting to try and get one that works kilometers ...Does anyone know of a source for one - here in Aussie land we work in kilometers....

cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys .. I have this model speedo in my '23 tourer, it is in miles ..and am wanting to try and get one that works kilometers ...Does anyone know of a source for one - here in Aussie land we work in kilometers....

cheers </div></div>

Best suggestion I can make is to photograph the original speedo face, load it on your computer, correct any flaws and change the numbers to Km. Then print out a vinyl face and paste it on your speedo.

They probably did supply Km speedos for cars sold in Europe but fat chance finding one today.

There is a speedo service in Australia that rebuilds Smiths gauges for English bikes. They have quite a collection of silk screens which they have made, to duplicate speedos and tachs used on various makes and models over the years. Perhaps they could make a screen and make you a new speedo face. It would be more authentic if you are pernickety. I read about them in an English motorcycle magazine a few years ago. Hope they are still in business.