1917 D45 dash electrical panel

Bob Engle

Today I began working on the electrical system.  I replaced the bulb in the taillight and inspected the wiring for condition.  Then I started to check out the electric fuel pump to see how it was wired into the system.

I found the main power wire from the coil power connection to the pump in the rear was in terrible condition.  There was over 2 feet of exposed wire.  I have decided to mount a toggle switch under the dash for the fuel pump  and pick up the power from #3 terminal.  This way I can fill the vacuum tank before attempting to start the car.  The fuel pump feeds into the vacuum tank and the vent line was converted to a return line to the gas tank.  The vacuum port in the  tank was soldered shut.  there is no mechanism left in the vacuum tank.  

While working on the wiring for the fuel pump, I wanted to understand the electrical panel.  I numbered and removed the 7 wires  and removed the panel from the dash.  I have attached some photos of the unit.  I was trying to understand how the unit was operated without a key.  It appears that the ignition knob linkage was modified to prevent the slide plate for the lock assembly from engaging the bottom of  linkage.  Pushing the ignition knob in disengages the electrical contacts but the unit can't be locked.  I don't think I will attempt a correction on the switch at this time.  I will most likely install a battery cutout and won't depend on the switch to kill power.

Headlight operation will be my next challenge.  I'm not real sure on the process to get the headlight lenses and reflectors removed.

Bob Engle

DSCN3322_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3333_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3332_1024x768.JPG

• Like 1

I have the wiring diagram.  I am just trying to determine what has been changed over the years.  If you notice in the photos, the ignition switch is not flush to the panel like all other  switches are.  My opinion at this time is that someone changed the pull lever on the ignition switch so the ignition can't be locked as there is no slot in the bottom of the pull lever for the lock plate.  You can see a difference in the color of the ignition lever as opposed to the light levers.  The rivet heads are  different size also.

Bob