Gen Light

I put a new battery in 72 cutlass.<BR> I start the car every day for a week and let it warm-up.<BR> Then yesterday I tried to start car and found battery dead. I jump the battery and find the Gen light on and ignition switch off.<BR> I charged the battery,which seemed to take longer than normal.<BR> This morning I found the Gen light on again.<BR> Splain me this... bad battery...ignition switch...what???<BR> Thanks for the help.

Your problem is a bad diode in the alternator's internal rectifier section (the part that converts AC voltage to DC voltage to power the car). A good auto electric shop can fix you up in a couple hours. You <B>could</B> get a reman alternator at the parts store, but I find it just as cheap and easy to have it rebuilt by a local shop who often will find and test things a mass-production rebuilder might overlook. Plus if it's the original one to the car, you still have it.<P>There's a remote possibility of a short in the voltage regulator wiring, but I'd bet on the diodes. It's a common failure.

Thanks fellas,I found the point sticking in voltage regulator. Found loose ground wire also.<BR>At this point I am thinking of going to electronic ignition.<BR>If anyone has any knowledge on this please jump in,I can use the advice.<BR>What brand distributor,ect...Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

As long as your converting to HEI why not ditch the external regulator/alternator and switch to internal --Original parts droup and year one have a conversion kit so you don't have to cut any wires. Remember when powering up the HEI u need 12 volts so don't use the wire going to the + side of the coil it's a resistor wire and the HEI will not se 12 volts Veh will run but not right if you you use the resistor wire. <P>GOOD LUCK