idenity card in the springs of the seat?

Can anyone explain the purpose of a idenity card in the springs of my drivers seat?<P>I found it when I was replacing the seat backing on my 1969 olds cutlass conv. <P>It has some numbers on it but I cannot find any information about these numbers.<P>Thanks in advance for your help.

That is called a broadcast card or "build sheet" and is a desirable document to have.<BR>It contains the codes for all the equipment and options that were factory installed on the car. It should have the car's serial number on it somewhere, but be warned that some cars never had a build sheet and others had one from a different car stuffed in them when they went out the door.<P>I can probably decode a lot of the numbers for you.

ok thanks,here you go...<P>Broadcast <BR>SEQ.=122, MO.=03, Day.=07, Style=33667<P>Body Number=312852<P>Trim code=937<P>Exter.Paint- Top Upr.=A, PP.=2<P>1st Card- 1=A01, 7=U80<P>Ident. No 14=C03 15=066

I'll decode it here so others can benefit from the information. Here goes...<P>Sequence/Month/Day: it was the 122nd car built at that assembly plant on March 7, 1969. The car body data plate underhood should show 03A or 03B at the "Time" stamping depending on what day March 7 fell on.<P>Style: 3= Oldsmobile Division<BR> 36= Cutlass V8 series<BR> 67= GM speak for a convertible body <BR> style<P>Body #: this is the number Fisher Body assigned to the car at the body plant.<P>Trim code: 937= bucket seat interior (std on 69 Cutlass convert) in Sandalwood/Antique Parchment (off-white).<P>Exterior Paint: Top Upper is the convertible top color- A= Black. PP is the lower/upper body color paint code- P= Platinum Silver.<P>AO1= Tinted body glass (windshield and side glass)<P>U80= rear seat radio speaker<P>CO3 and O66 aren't showing up in my books but C are generally body equipment codes such as for vinyl roof moldings, rear defogger wiring, a/c etc. I'm guessing CO3 is probably the convertible power top wiring.<P>So- you have a Platinum Silver Cutlass convertible with Black folding top and white bucket seats. How did I do?

WOW<BR>Thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it.<P>Well, after reading your assessment I can only conclude that the broadcast card is from a different cutlass.<P>My cutlass has is an "S" type and has a different VIN number than the card. It has a Red exterior, White conv top and white interior, with AC and no back speaker. <P>Is there any place that has the original bulid sheet from the factory, That I can purchase?<BR>Thanks Again<BR>D. Lou

You can try the Olds History Center. The OCA <A HREF="http://www.oldsclub.com" TARGET=_blank>www.oldsclub.com</A> and Fusick <A HREF="http://www.fusick.com" TARGET=_blank>www.fusick.com</A> sites link to it. They can usually find the original paperwork for the car if you can supply a VIN.<P>And as you see, the wrong VIN broadcasts often got put into cars.<P>Check the underhood data plate. The paint and Fisher body codes are stamped into that too. If it has the same body number and paint codes as the broadcast, car could have been painted. Also look for a blue wire in the top well area, that's the rear speaker wire. It could have been removed in 33 years.<P>A factory air car will have C60 stamped into that plate also. If the paint code on the data plate is R that is Crimson, a deep blood red.<P>I misread my Color & Fabric book. "A" convertible top is white. My mistake.<P>By the way, all 1969 Cutlass convertibles were S cars.