1969 cutlass s interior lights problem

Can anyone help? Everytime I turn on the headlights my gauge lights dim and my turn signal indicators either do not work and/or dim, and/or work in an opposite manner. All the outside light functions work fine. And when I turn off the headlights then all is back to normal. Sounds like a short but any info on this would be helpful.<BR>Thanks in advance

This sounds like either a grounding or headlight switch problem. Look around the back side of your headlights and you should see a short ground wire from the headlight wire to the radiator support at each lamp. If these are broken or loose it will cause a problem like you're describing.<P>Dirty or worn contacts in the headlight switch itself can also cause this, as can a bad ground at the parklamp assembly. Even a bulb with dirty contacts can make weird stuff like this happen. Also a bad instrument panel ground.<P>Right now I'm suspecting the headlight switch since the dash lights are fed thru it and moving the switch around clears up the problem.

OK<BR>After checking all the grounds on the headlighs.<BR>I pulled the original GM switch from the dash( this was from 1969 and replaced it with a remanufactured switch that I got at NAPA. They actually had it in stock. It seems that was the problem everything is working fine now.<BR>Thanks for your help