67 cutlass trans swap

I want to get rid of the old 2 speed jetaway in favor of a new GM 4L60E. Looks like it should be a fairly straight forward swap with minor changes in crossmember placement and yoke. Not sure about the shift linkage though. It is column shift and i know the numbers aren't going to match up now. I don't even know if there is enough play in the stock linkage to properly operate a 4 speed auto. I don't want to go to a floor shift because its a bench seat and i have my stereo on the hump. any ideas?

You probably won't be able to shift into Low manually, but that's no great loss. I'm wondering how you're gonna fool this computer controlled transmission into shifting properly. I'd lean more toward a properly built 200-4R or 700 since I know they will work without computer reference.<P>On the shift quadrant- you'll need to remove and disassemble the dash cluster, then you can remove the PRNDL quadrant and use a piece of thin plexiglass to make a new one for PRNO321. Get a sign shop to make your letters out of diecut vinyl. Their computer vinyl lettering machine may even have a font that closely matches the original style. Have them make a reversed image so the sticky side is to the front and install it from the back side of the new plexiglass piece. We did that on a 2004R installation in a 64 Pontiac and it looks great.