Slim Jim transmission

Hello Olds fans,<BR>I have a bad transmission in my 1962 Starfire and would like to put in a newer model trans but would like to know if the 394ci in it uses the BOP bellhousing bolt pattern. <BR>Any ideas about what would be a good choice for a trans that would fit and handle all that power would be a bonus.<BR>Thank you all,<BR>Mike

Yowsah! we visited this unsuccessfully a few weeks ago tongue.gif" border="0 . A Turbo HydraMatic will not bolt directly to a 394 or earlier Olds engine. 394s have a shroud that covers the fluid coupling, then a metal plate bolts to the block, then the SlimJim bolts to the plate. THM have a shroud over the torque converter that bolts to the block. <P>There are companies who will cut down the case of a THM in the torque converter area and modify it so it will bolt to the 394 trans mounting plate. I have no idea of cost, but I'm getting about desperate enough with my 64 Starfire to try it.<P>Pontiac had the right idea. They used a bellhousing to mate the SlimJim to their engines, and that bellhousing just happens to have the later B-O-P-Cad THM bolt pattern. I know of several early 60s Pontiacs with THM 400s and 200-4Rs in place of the cantankerous old SlimJims. Bears witness that the things were only used 4 years. Cadillac wouldn't use them at all, and Pontiac only used them in Catalina and Grand Prix (?? they were usually the Pontiac hotrods though confused.gif" border="0 ), but stubborn Olds used them in everything.<P>Of course, 30 years ago, every transmissoin shop could repair them.

• 5 months later...

dave smith engineerig does the machine work.1 559 562 3500.its not cheap nor is rebuilding a slim jim to justify the cost use a 700r4 the overdrive will save gas and engine wear