Olds-Buick A/C parts interchange

I'm looking at an Olds Suction Throttle Valve. I want to know if it will fit one of my cars. The box is hand marked with 9.198 (group number?), and the printed label says Frigidaire part # 6550179. I don't have a Buick/Olds interchange book. So, my question is: will this fit either a 63 Electra or a 64 Riviera?<P>Thanks.

My Olds parts book shows this fits 1963 all except F85. 1964 p/n is 5910493 all exc F85. I'll say it will work on a 1963 Buick B or C since GM a/c systems were pretty much identical across the board for each year except some carlines have more mufflers in the freon lines than others, and the control head vacuum valves are all different. This is a vacuum operated STV, right? I think you can adjust these things to tailor their performance.<P>Old Air Products in TX has an updated design STV that is more reliable, less prone to leaks and is compatible with R134a.

rocketraider,<P>Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking that it <B>should</B> be compatible with the Electra. The Riv, however, uses an entirely different STV.<P>I've looked at the upgraded STV from Old Air Products. It doesn't really function as an STV; it's connected to a temperature sensor that turns your compressor on and off to control cooling. This is different from the stock system, which controls cooling by regulating low-side pressure in the evaporator (using the STV). The most noticable effect of this is that your temperature control is now useless; your A/C is either on or off. FWIW, the STV is compatible with R134a. Since it is adjustable by design, you can adjust it to work with the different pressure range of R134a.

Had forgot about the cycling clutch feature on the Old Air STV. It works off a temp sensor? figured it would work off pressure like later cycle-clutch systems. I had thought about it for my 64 Starfire, but the A/C is very low on the list right now. Getting the thing to start, run and drive is the current priority! damn 4GC carbs...