STOCK TIRE ON 69 4-4-2 ???

I HAVE A RESTORED 1969 4-4-2 & WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH TIRE THEY CAME WITH FROM OLDS. THE TIRE DECAL SAYS F70X14. DID THEY COME RED LINE?FIRESTONE OR GOODYEAR? WIDE OVAL? POLYGLASS GT? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.<BR>[carnut60@aol.com]

Most 68 and 69 I remember new came with Firestone Wide Ovals, in either red lines or single pinstripe whitewalls. At least my uncle's 68 "S" had them, I was 13 and just beginning to go gaga over cars, and I was soaking up every detail I could see. Think the term we used then was "cool to death"? rolleyes.gif" border="0 Then it was "bitchin" and now "phat", or so my teenage nephews tell me...

• 3 weeks later...

IN reply to your inquiry on correct tire sizes available as standard and optional on the '69 442, I offer the following:<P>STANDARD Equipment on the 442 was an F70-14 Red Stripe Wide-Oval tire. This was a non-belted tire.<P>Options were:<BR>(PL5) Blackwall Wide-Oval Polyester Cord - Size F70-14<P>(P81) Red-Stripe Fiberglass-Belted F70-14<P>(P26) White-Line Wide-Oval Nylon Cord F70-14<P>GM normally used 2 or more manuacturers as suppliers of a given size or grade of tires. In the late 60s and early 70s, Goodyear and Firestone were the "Big 2". US Royal (Uniroyal) may also have been an approved supplier. The name "Wide-Oval" was actually a Firestone trademark and most cars were delivered with Firestone tires. "Poly-Glass" was a trademake used by Goodyear.<P>The F70-14 Wide-Oval was a 2+2 polyester/fiberglass belted tire. It looks great, but the ride and handling characteristics are terrible compared to a modern radial ply tire of the same size. I had a set of F70-14 Wide-Ovals on my restored '69 442 and switched to Goodyear Eagle II radials. I'll never go back, judging points or no judging points.

This is gawittsend, again,<P>Having thought about my first reply, I feel compelled to further clarify my original answer. Evidently, Firestone offered both a Bias Ply and a Fiber-Glass beltered version on their Wide-Oval tires. Coker Tire only offers the 2+2 polyester/fiberglass belted tire. While these tires are manufactured with modern rubber compounds, they are still inferior to radial tires. The ride and steering quality is just not there. The Wide-Ovals seem to want to track every bump,crack and crevice in the road. Again, my advice, if you intend to drive your car (and I hope you do), buy a quality radial of the same size (P215 or P225)and enjoy the car's performance.

Coker also furnishes a redline radial in appropriate sizes for the 1969 car, if you want the classic look and modern handling.<P>If you decide to go the radial route on this car, look for an R stamped into the rim near the valve stem hole. This R indicates the wheel is compatible with the increased cornering characteristics of radial tires.

• 9 months later...

gawittsend, you seem very knowledgeable. Perhaps you could give me a little info and advice.

I have a viking blue '72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible with SS II/III rims (body color). I believe they are original. The previous owner put on some too-small Michelin whitewalls. I'd really like some BFG T/A's or similar RWL tires, but I am very confused over sizes.

I believe the stock tires were 215/70 (or F or G78??) or the equivalent. I do not know if my rims are 14x6 or 14x7.

1. I can't decide whether to go with 235 or 245/60s, or 225/70s.

2. Apparently, it may not be advisable to put 60 series tires on 6" rims.

Any thoughts? I drive the car quite a bit, but my first concern is looks over ride.

Thanks a lot.