"5613" captive fasteners for '58

capgage

Does anyone know a source for these? They are used on the front clip sheet metal I am short several, as I broke them while pulling front clip parts for my '58 century from another donor (now I think I can prevent breakage in the future, but oh well, live and learn).<P>Also, when new are these supposed to have that green protective "primer" on them? I have blasted the ones that I will reuse and discovered the "5613" on them, but they are already turning dark after three days of exposure and I would like to get them coated with whatever the correct coating is (if any).<P>Mark

You might check with Florida Auto Fastener at 850-762-3611 - customer service or 1-800-536-1947 - order line. They were at a local Swap Meet a couple weeks ago and had what I consider to be a real good selection. No catalog or website yet though.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Jim

Thanks, Jim (jezac)!<P>I spoke to Tony with Florida Fasteners and they are looking to see if they have the ones I need, will let me know tonight or tomorrow. Sounds like a small start up outfit with LOTS of fasteners to sell.<P>Forgot to mention in my first post, the fasteners I am looking for are captive nuts, they are rectangular in shape and are mounted to a u-shaped clip. 5/16 coarse thread.<P>Congrats on your rebuild!<P>Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well, apparently Florida Fasteners is no longer answering the phone.<P>I did, however, track down the part number for the "nut, anchor", 1196207.<P>The corrsponding "bolt" is 1162523, I think this is the 5/16-18 bolt with the captive square-shaped washer.<P>Do these parts sound familiar to anyone? I think I'm just going to have to recycle what I have.<P>Any suggestions for finishing these bolts to keep them alive for 42 more years? Zinc plating?<P>Eastwood sells a plating kit, but it looks very labor-intensive (1 bolt at a time).<P>They also sell a tumbler/polisher that appears to give great results from the picture, but I don't see how this will prevent future rust.<P>Has anyone used either of these?<P>Mark<BR>58 66C

Guest John Chapman

Mark,<P>You're welcome. Just a note, Mr. G's prices looked a bit high vs. the body shop suppliers. You might want to check them too. Example, Mr G. has the convertible top button fasteners with stainless screw mount for $2.50 each. The local upholstery shop supplier has the same ones for $37/100 count box... now, I just need to figure out what to do with 97 new fasteners.... LOL

Guest John Chapman

Mark,<P>I've seen similar products at local body shop supply/automotive paint supply houses and at NAPA. The automotive body shop suppliers had a large book with several hundred fasteners nicely sealed in vacuformed plastic pages. There were at least three dozen various captive nut fastener sets. The manufacturer's name is UFO/Auto-Fastener Group, Inc. The book makes it very easy to do a comparison with your old part(s). The prices were way less expensive than the hobby specialty places.<P>Also, try Mr. G's enterprises at: <A HREF="http://www.mrgusa.com/fasindex.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mrgusa.com/fasindex.htm</A> <P>Hope this helps tighten you up... smile.gif<P>Cheers,<BR>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR>1965 Skylark Convertible (Some Assembly Required)<BR> jmchapman@aol.com