Olds 10 Ohm Speakers

I have an 1975 Olds Delta Royale 88 convertible with three blown speakers. The local car stereo guys say since they are 10 ohm speakers, we can't put in modern 4 ohm speakers and operate normally. He wants to put in modern speakers and wire them in series which, he says will approximate the resistance and will leave me with only the loss of F/R fade. What do you think? I held off on doing it because I think I'd prefer to search for original speakers, but haven't had any easy, quick luck looking on the net for a source. Any advice on the modern installation setup, or a source where I could buy NOS, or original replacement spekers?

You should still be able to find 8 ohm load speakers which will be close enough to work with no ill effects on the radio's output transistor. Think Jensen and Pioneer still make 8 ohm speakers. <A HREF="http://www.crutchfield.com." TARGET=_blank>www.crutchfield.com.</A> or if you hurry, Radio Shack may still have some. I'm told they're phasing out all their car stereo stuff. <P>Another option would be to have your current speakers reconed but can be expensive.<P>If this guy knows what's what, he should know that he can wire in a resistor on the speaker + lead and put the impedance where it should be, without all that banjowork. Whatever he does, don't let him wire the grounds together or you'll have instant fried Delco radio.<P>I may have a set laying around. I took the factory ones out of my 73 88 ragtop 20 years ago, think they still played OK at that time. Finding them will be the trick.