1968 Cutlass-S Convertible: Good Car??

Hey everyone,<P>I found a 68' Cutlass-S Convertible in the local newspaper. I know that it is somewhat like a 442, but I am waiting for the owner to contact me, so I can get some info. In the meantime, could someone possibly tell me where I can get some info on the factory specs and options on this car so I can make sure that it is as original as possible. I am 14 years old, and I am looking for a car to restore up for when I get my license in 2 years. I think that cars look better original, and not souped up. That is why I want to get more info. I thank you for reading my post, and hope that someone can offer me some help.<P>Thanks,<BR>Matt Lapointe<BR>matt.lapointe@telusplanet.net

That Cutlass probably has a 350 c.i. V8 and 2speed auto trans....The available options are too plentiful to list such as AC, power accessories , bucket seats etc,etc.etc...You need a book or find someone with a 68 to compare to see the originality of this one. Listen to the seller and let him tell ya what he knows about the car. Then look it over well and dont be afraid to climb all over it and especially make sure that the frame isnt rotted....Good Luck!

1968-72 Cutlass has excellent aftermarket and reproduction parts support and is modern enough mechanically that it can be driven and repaired anywhere. There's good club support too thru the Oldsmobile Club of America and its chapters and affiliates.<P>Most all convertibles were bucket seat cars. There was a no-cost bench seat option but I've seen very few. Consoles were optional so you may find one buckets without console. You could get these cars with a 350 cid Olds V8, 2 or 4 barrel carb, single or dual exhaust, combined with 2 or 3 speed automatics, or 3 or 4 speed manual transmissions. There was also a six-cylinder version but it's very rare.<P>Most all GM cars of that era will have at least minor rust-through starting on the front fenders behind the wheel opening, and at the rear wheelhouses and lower quarter panels behind the rear wheels. On a convertible look out for rotted floors and trunk.<P>My best advice to a young Rocket-man? Get the best car you can afford to start with. It'll save money and aggravation in the long run. Feel free to contact me if you need help- Oldsmobiles have beat me up for close to 30 years now so I've learned a bit about them.