restore 62 starfire

In the case of a Starfire (or any other low production car with a lot of specific trim items) I'm inclined to get the best car available to start with. It's less expensive and less frustrating in the long run, and I speak from experience with a 1964. I have realised I can buy a nice car for a third to half what it would take to restore the one I have to comparable condition.<P>That said- on a 62 you have the side trim to find, a leather interior that will have to be custom dyed to match the metallic finished original, and bumpers which are almost always rusted out behind the brackets. Plus these cars have a lot of unobtainium trim pieces that are not shared with any other car, even other 1962 big Oldsmobiles.<P>Then there's the mechanical end of it. The Starfire 394 is powerful but should it need rebuilding parts are expensive and cams have to be custom ground. They have SlimJim HydraMatics which are quirky and tough to find competent servicemen who understand them and will guarantee a rebuild. <P>I probably sound discouraging, but I am a realist and I know what it takes to restore one of these beauties. A rough Starfire would be an ambitious project for a first timer.<P>So- my advice if you haven't already bought the car? Go find the best one you can find and then upgrade it as needed. That way you can drive the car and enjoy it, and you won't be arse deep in a disassembled car that you can't find needed parts for. You'll be ahead financially too. The 62 is the most popular of the six year run and nice ones are advertised every day at reasonable prices.

I've been in love with the 62 Starfire since I was a kid. Now I've found one, but it's in need of major restoration. Any suggestions, direction or reply from those who have done one would be appreciated. (I have a set of 19 low-res photos, but they're pretty good indicators of car and current condition)This would be a first for me, and I'm not a total DIY guy, would need to shop it out. I'm in Houston, and want to bring it up to a -good- "3" condition, a "weekend cruiser". Thanks!

thanks, rocketraider! your answer is what I needed. I'm more inclined now to find a good restored 62, your model-specific advice is valuable and appreciated! thanks again!