Is it a real 442?

You need a build sheet or invoice to verify a 72. There's nothing in the VIN that identifies it as such unless the car was originally a W30 in which case the engine code (5th character in VIN) is X. 442 reverted to option status that year and was available with the 350, as well as bench seat, non-posi, even single exhaust.<P>From what you've mentioned, I'd say the car is gennie. Most people don't go to the trouble and expense to clone a non-W30 1972 442. You can run the numbers thru the Oldsmobile History Center and they can usually supply the original paperwork and dealer order for the car. That would show the W29 442 option if it was ordered.<P>I can decode the cowl tag and VIN if you need it. Post it here as I no longer take any unknown source e-mails.

I just purchased a 1972 Cutlass convertible. This triple white car is immaculate, with 46,000 original, florida miles. The seller bought it from the original owner, and indicated he thought it was an original 442, as it had the emblems, front grill, dual exhaust (with bumper cut-outs), the air cleaner decal, and the (fake) hood louvers. However, the car has a gold 350/4v, front bench, no posi. Can anyone help me decode the VIN or cowl tag to find out if this is really a 442? Thanx!

The VIN is 3567K2M223555<P>The cowl tag reads:<P>ST72 34267LAN474058 BDY<BR>TP(R?) 977 11 A PNT<BR> 5A A65<P>Thanx!

Double check the 2nd character in the VIN. It should be a letter instead of a number.<P>3= Oldsmobile Division<BR>(letter)= series (D,F,G or J)<BR>67= convertible<BR>K= L34 350-4 bbl single exhaust engine<BR>2= 1972<BR>M= Lansing MI assembly plant<BR>223555= sequential car serial number<P>ST72= 1972<BR>3= Oldsmobile Division<BR>42= Cutlass Supreme<BR>67= convertible <BR>LAN= Lansing body assembly<BR>474058= Fisher Body Plant sequential #<BR>TR977= White vinyl interior trim<BR>11= Cameo White paint<BR>A= white fabric top<BR>5A= build date 5=May, A= 1st week of month<BR>A65= notchback bench front seat w/ armrest<P>So- you have a triple white 1972 Supreme ragtop, possibly with option W29, 442 appearance and handling package. 442 or no, still a very desirable car. Enjoy it!<P>[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]<P>Forgot to add- look under the car for 442 clues. A 442 will have boxed rear control arms, a rear sway bar, and a thick front sway bar. All that could have been ordered as FE2 or F41 handling suspension, but if it's there with the exterior stuff, I'd say the car's real.<p>[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]