95 Cutlass - Anti Theft Key Problem

Hi All, <BR>Have had my 95 Cutlass for about three weeks. Today while driving, "Security" light came on, and was continuously glowing; no flashing involved. I was two blocks from my destination and drove there. I turned off the car and looked up the meaning off the "Security" light in my manual. I discovered then that either my key was dirty, wet, malfunctioning or that the anti theft system itself was malfunctioning. My husband brought a spare key (made at the local locksmith three weeks ago - I tested it the day it was copied and on that day it did work.) TODAY, IT DID NOT WORK! We did as the manual instructed, cleaned and dried the key(s) and checked the fuses. This happened on Saturday evening at 6:30. I don't know if I should have it towed to a GM dealer (no Old's dealers around here)or to the locksmith... or my mechanic (not sure he is able to deal with such a thing) Can anyone help me? Is this just a simple thing that anyone can fix? I don't want to have it towed at weekend rates to the wrong place and have to have it towed again to a second place. Any idea of anything my husband and I might try? He is very good with cars but has no experience with this problem. The dealer I purchased it from is 200 miles out of state and as I said, it's Saturday night -I tried but cannot reach him. I perfer not to wait til Monday. Thanks for your insight and help. Rocket Traider? I'd love your opinion!

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that will reset the computer and anti-theft/ignition module. If not, I'd take it to a GM dealer. All the carlines had this improvement (?) and should be able to diagnose and repair. <P>That anti-theft key never impressed me much. Aunt has a 94 Ninety Eight and had a similar problem. Solution? dealer cut a new key at cost of about $75.<P>Good luck. <P>RR

Thanks for the reply - as it is we were fortunate to get the problem resolved fairly quickly and easily. My husband called a friend of his who is a GM mechanic. He claims that as these cars with "VATS" (Vehicle Anti-theft systems) get older, it is not uncommon for system to cause problems and often need costly repairs. In his opionion, VATS are more of a pain in the neck than a benefit. I personally agreed with him!!! We live in an extremely low crime area so for us it seemed more logical to get the system by-passed. As luck would have it, this GM mechanic has a cousin who owns an automobile electrical accessory business. One of his services is the installation of remote starters and keyless entry systems. He is therefore a pro at anti-theft systems because he must by-pass them in order to install remote starters and keyless entry systems. We ironically had previously decided to install such a system once Fall rolled around so the choice for us was easy - by-pass VATS now. So for $20.00 on a Sunday morning this kind gent did the job in about five minutes. So if anyone out there is ever in the same boat and you don't mind being without an anti theft system, call your local remote starter installer - it'll be cheaper than your Olds dealer or a lock smith - at least it was in our area.