69 cutlass electrical prob

Here a problem that has been bugging me. I have a 69 cutlass convertable with a 350 4-barrell and a th350 tranny. My question is the wiring in the alternator area. I have the plug for the alternator that has two wires in it in the alternator, i am positive of this placement. My problem is another wire that looks like it should connect to the alternator. Itis black, and looks like a grounding wire, but it is not. when i touch it to the GRD point on the alternator, and incredible spark results, and the same when i touch it to the brakcet. so where is this wire supposed to go? thanks for the help

There is no black wire to the 1969 alternator unless someone has done a repair with off-color wiring. You should have a blue and a white wire in the two-port plug and a red 12 gage wire connected to the alternator's output post. Trace the black wire and see if it goes to the junction block on the left fenderwell. If it does, that's your alternator output and it is hot at all times since it's connected to the battery(+) via the junction block. Since the wire in question is obviously hot, I'm thinking it's been repaired at some time or other.<P>The only black wire underhood is the horn contact to horn relay wire and it's 20 gage. It's nowhere near the alternator.<P>If this doesn't solve yer arcs'n'sparks, post further! cool.gif" border="0

ok, so this wire should go where? on the alternator on the other post? not the one that says GRD obviously, but the other one? this other post, i began to unscrew it from the alternator just to see what it was, and it appeared to be a small assembly in itself, my uncle said it may be the "diode trio".... eh.... and there is no spark when it is touched to this.. so would that be the correct location? thanks for all the help

Use a test light or voltmeter and check for voltage on this wire. If 12v, and it goes to the junction block as described earlier, disconnect the battery (-) cable and then connect the wire to the alternator. (Always better to have battery disconnected when doing any electrical work or troubleshooting- saves fuses and temper.)<P>To make sure of your alternator output post, look around the base of it where it goes in the alt housing. Should be a red or black plastic ring on it which insulates it from ground. Question- has there ever been another wire connected to anything on the alternator besides the two-port plug? <P>If everything looks in order, you can then reconnect the battery (-) cable and you should be charging.