1970 442 INDY PACE CARS

I'm looking for other owners of original '70 pace cars...specifically looking for a source for indy door decals....why are they available for Camaro pace cars but not my '70 442(yes a 442 not a Cutlass- although the cutlass' are ultra-cool too) I'm a first owner (actually my dad...vin# 344670M304336)have the bill of sale & 'protect-o-plate'.....anyway write me mcmetal69@aol.com...have dual-gate,w-25 hood,air cond.,....were any 442 pace cars(except the 2 used in race)W-30's?...were any 4-speeds?.....my dad took mine to '70 INDY 500...it's in the group pics you often see in books...though who knows which one...I know most were Cutlasses.....total cost in 1970 5124.34, bought in Muncie, Indiana 5/21/70

I got the ones for my 74 Hurst/Olds Pace Car from Auto Decals Unlimited. Ain't cheap though. 602-220-0800 was the number 2 years ago.<P>To answer yer question on why the Pace Car decals are more readily available for Camaro pace cars than the Olds Pace Cars (yes, the capitalisation on Olds and not Camaro is intentional)- Camaros are common as dirt, is why. More market share means more stuff available, and I can almost promise you half the Camaro pace car replicas out there are bogus.<P>It's generally accepted that only the two Indy 500 Pace Cars had the W30. Y74 should be on data plate. If it's Y74 and W30, unless it has the paperwork to back up actual Pace Car duty, it's been fiddled with. Must also have a Lansing VIN, which you have.<P>442.com and the Oldsmobile Club of America will be your best source for info on any of the Oldsmobile Pace Cars. The REOlds chapter of OCA is also a good source, and they've made several Pace Car t-shirts for their annual Homecoming show in Lansing.<P>Glenn Williamson<BR>the Rocketraider<p>[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

• 2 weeks later...

Well without getting into to much detail, there are a few ReOlds chapter members who know alot of info on 1970 pace cars, the unregistered user who started this question, Are you near lansing, mi.? the Homecoming show June 15th,(400 cars, 40-50 vendors) all of us from REOlds club will be there and can help ya alot. Or Are ya coming to the Historic Cars of Lansing show , July31-Aug. 3rd?? You will get alot of info. I have a 70 pace car #48 used at the track, I have the list of vin #;s etc. Do not want to start a major discussion on this forum, try to attend these shows and get registered here also, It can help ya alot moreon you questions. szaban 70 pace car, 70 vista pace wagon.

There are a lot of rumors about the 1970 pace cars. One is that the two actual pace cars were W-30's. That is not true, they both were hand built at engineering. I have seen Steve Zabans pace car and I am disappointed that he did not provide you with more information. I would be careful who you buy your decals from. Some are not that accurate. That is great that you have one of the original cars with the window stickers and all. I hope to see it one day.

Here we are another UN-REGISTERED USER. Obviously Reatta Rebel, you did not read my reply, I told him he could get alot of info two places, but again as a unregistered user I have no idea were he lives, to help him out.We could write on this forum forever on this particular pace car. Get registered you guys!!!!???

• 9 years later...
Guest MyPaceCar

I am a 1970 Pace car owner, but mine is a Cutlass. Looking for more information on the Pace Car and is there a list of Vin numbers used in the Indianapolis 500