1970-442 DO I BUY THE CORRECT 455CI ENGIN

MY 1970 442 HAS THE ENGIN OUT OF A 1974 442. THE 455CI IS CORRECT BUT THE HP IS ONLY 250HP NOT THE CORRECT 365HP. SHOULD I INVEST IN A CORRECT 455CI AND WHERE CAN I FIND ONE OR DO I REBUILD THE 1974 INTO A HIGHER HP ENGINE? DO YOU HAVE ANY ESTIMATE FOR THE PURCHASE OR THE REBUILD OF AN ENGINE.<P>[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: RUNNER ]<p>[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: RUNNER ]

The 365 hp for 1970 is a gross hp figure measured with a "bare" engine- nothing installed but the alternator. The later 250 hp is a net figure measured at the flywheel with all engine driven accessories installed and operating. The 1974 engine has lower compression pistons (that's how compression ratio is changed on an Olds) but is otherwise very similar to the 1970 engine. <P>My recommendation? Use the 1974 engine with E casting heads (correct for 1970 and still fairly easy to find), a set of cast 9.5:1 cr pistons in smallest oversize needed to clean up the bores (this will allow engine to run happily on 93 octane pump gas), and performance camshaft, your choice. Something in the range of 260-280 degree, .460-.490 lift will do nicely in a street engine with 3.23-3.73 gears. Use a QuadraJet, either original or one of the Holley or Edelbrock OEM replacements, and recurved HEI distributor. Headers give the best bang for the buck and are as cheap or cheaper than the factory dual exhaust manifolds.