50 olds holiday coupe

I recently purchased a 50 olds holiday coupe which had a low production of 1366 cars. The car runs and drives is vary solid has all the chrome replated and is about ready for paint. I bought it over ebay because I liked the body style but don't know whether to take it back to original or put a subframe with power steering and brakes and go with a stout 350 or 455. I am mainly looking at resale value I will not be keeping the car so that makes the decision harder since I have never seen one before and book values are never accurate. Which way will the car be worth more original or subframed but still looking original and what do you think it will be worth. My email is racirdo@msn.com Thank You.

Well it comes down to what you are looking to get out of it. If you are going to try and make money off of the deal, you should simply throw a paint job on it and resell it. If you think that some how you'll make a killing off of it by cutting it up and slapping all of that late model stuff to it, you'll need to consider whether you'll be doing all of the work or paying someone to do it for you. If it's the latter in any form, you will be losing your tail. This isn't a street rod and won't be some money maker. If you got a decent deal on it and it only needs paint and some interior work, I would suggest spending your time on these items. You will probably see the highest return and won't be hassled with the extra effort that won't net any extra return in the end. If you want to make a nickle off of a car then look for a car that will make a nickle. If you want to build a custom and be able to enjoy it otherwise, build your Olds. Also, does it have the original drive train? There are plenty of cool considerations that will make excellent power.

It would be a real sano piece and would bring a good fetch if you kept it clean. Maybe fifties/sixties style. Thats a big pull on those cars these days regardless of powerplant. I guess it still has it's 303. Thats a great engine but so is the 324,371, and certainly the 394. That 394 would make that car a monster. I "think that it uses the same mounts as your 303. Front is a center mount. Offy still makes adapters to run four speeds I believe. There is a company that makes a conversion to Th 400 but I dont have the info.

Guest Blownolds

Tanson Enterprises in either Stockton or Sacramento, CA is one place to get the TH350-400 conversion. There are at least two more sources for this.

Do you know if Tanson or the others can do anything adapting a TH350-400, or even a 200 or 700 OD trans to a 394 in a 1964 Starfire? Being able to ditch that SlimJim would open up a lot of possibilities for this car as it and the 4GC carb are chronic problems, and I can't update the carb without a lot of aggravation with the tranny TV rod.<P>I'm told they have to cut the THM case down and fab an adapter plate for the 303-371. Guess they're all the same in the bell area.

I would keep it original. Thats a rare piece of automotive history. It was considered fast in its day, and I would love to find out what fast was in 1950. If you put a 455 in it it will be just like any other custom hot rod.