setting the timing on a 31 8-67

gofasttoday

The timing indicator on my 29 is on the front of the flywheel housing ,behind a swing  away cover. The most common causes of overheating on the Buick in lines are blocked radiator passages and blocked coolant passages in the block water jackets. In this forum you will find many discussions regarding this topic. Since you appear to have the manifolds removed, I would also remove the long coolant cover  to inspect and remove any possible gunk. There is usually quite a bit .  Good luck!

5 hours ago, ford40 said:

Any one know if you can use a timing light to time these cars?

You can use a timing light on any car.  I use one for my '1915 truck.

Only issue is finding the mark for #1 at Top Dead Center and I need a separate 12 volt battery to power the timing light because  the truck is 6 volt.

A different way to find your timing:  Set #1 cylinder intake valve lash at .008".  put a dial indicator on #1 rocker  arm and turn over engine by hand until #1 valve opens .004"  (.012" total rocker movement). At this point #1 cylinder is 4 1/2 degrees before top dead center. Mark the crank pulley at this point.  Measure the diameter of the crank pulley and calculate the circumference and divide by 180 degrees and you will have the spacing for each degree.  

If you have a modern timing light, you can set the advance on the light at 6 1/2 degrees and then set your idle timing on the mark for 4 1/2 degrees.  Be sure you have the spark advance set full ahead when using this method.

Bob Engle

The way that I found the top dead center for the number one cylinder is to remove the sparkplug and put a long straw in the spark plug hole and turn the engine over by hand until the straw is the farthest out.  Just do not drop the straw in the cylinder. That puts the cylinder at the top +-.  Then look for a mark on the flywheel.  You are now in the neighborhood for timing the engine.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)