1941 Carter WCD

bigblack74

Hello, I have been having very poor luck trying to source correct carb. I have bought 4 different carbs looking for the factory correct 487s single carb set up.

I am now to the point of trying to find correct factory sized jets, rods, jet tubes and squirter. I have the factory numbers for all the parts from the factory manual but those part numbers only work the metering rods. The other numbers do not coincide with Carter part numbers. Is there anyone out there who can help us with this problem??

Again with are working with 1941 Buick WCD 487s single carb setup.

If I could understand how Carter has numbered the parts I maybe able to finally find the correct parts.

Thanks

Carter 487s was superceded by Carter 551s. The two carbs are almost identical. I very much doubt if the tags were missing more than a handful of individuals could tell the two apart. I could, but only if I had the carb(s) on the bench with access to the original drawings. Certainly not on the car.

551s was in turn, superceded by a post-war number 608s, which in turn was superceded by 663s.

Individual calibration parts (jets) were also superceded.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

As I mentioned I am trying to understand how Carter numbered the PARTS. I'm confident one of the 4 carbs I have will work once I can get the correct jetting done. I just cannot make sense of the how the parts are numbered.

The rods are the only stamped part that coincide with numbers in the manual.

The jet tubes should be stamped 68 but that is not a Carter part number. 

The rod jets are called 45 but there are no jets stamped with that number or listed as part number 45.

That is my problem.