Jon Whitcomb and Leslie Saalburg Signatures

60FlatTop

I have run into an odd occurrence while sorting through the contents of a storage unit I have been transferring items from.

There are two pages from what appears to be an old scrap book. Four pictures are pasted  on each page face with a hand written signature below. The pictures are three of the Jon Whitcomb Cadillac 60 Special ads (sea plane, cruise ship, and locomotive and a 3/4 rear elevated Lincoln by Leslie Saalburg. It looks like the scrapbook owner may have had the pictures autographed by the original artist.

The Saalburg signature is accurate to signed prints. The Whitcomb, each of the three is signed below the pasted in picture, matches the style but is spelled Whitcombe with an "e". Does anyone have recollections of Jon Whitcomb that could shed a little light on this? I don't really think the scrap book owner was tying to forge a signature. I bought them years ago when I had a small collection of automotive art and the 60 Special is one of my all time favorites. I plan to frame these pages... finally, just wondering about the spelling anomaly.

He did quite a bit of work with Henry Austin Clark so I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Bernie