Straight - 8 Distributors

Need some help guys. As some of you know my wife Chris has a 51 Patrician. It has the 327 S-8 engine. It needs a distributor. The one that is in it is an Autolite, and is worn out. The mechanic believes that is why it is not firing on cyl 5 + 6. The number on the unit is IGP4502-c. I went to the Packard junk yard north of me today and the only Autolite that was there, was an IGP4502-e. The book says that is for a 54th series. My question is #1 will the 54th series work. #2, why can't I use a Delco.

Al, I believe Autolite and Delco are physically different in size. I know they use different poinrs and rotors. As for '53 and '54, I have not had time to check any references yet, but I should think if it is the 327 engine, the two years would interchange. If you have trouble locating one, check out some ads in Hemmings Motor news for places aht may stock them or that will rebuild them. I know I have seen places advertised that will rebuild them. I got your email today but got tapped out and wasn't able to respond. I'll try to check the specs. as soon as I can.

OK, have looked at the 48-54 parts book and see no physical differences noted on the Frame 74 illustration page. However, I am looking at Hollander Interchange and find this for Packard distributors:<P>1951 and 52 interchange<BR>1954 seems to be only for 1954. as is 1953. This is surprising.

Guest Albert

the difference between the 4502c and the 45-02E is the vac advance max deg and the gov Adv max they will interchange other wise <BR>4502c vac adv(max 10.5deg) gov adv (max 8deg)<BR>4502e vac adv(max 10 deg) gov advance(max16deg) the delco-remy part # is 1110825 which is used on the 51 the only changes you have to make is to change the cap.

RHO: ALBERT: MR PACKARD:<BR>Thanks one and all for your most helpfull responses. From those I am going to try the following. I will first try to use the 4502E and see if it works(with new points and condensor of course). If that works then I am good to go. If not then I will try to see if I can replace the bushing and cam lobe in my old one. Last resort, I will get back with you Mr Packard on your most kind offer. My wife also thanks you all.

Al,<BR> I checked my '51-'54 Service Manual and it indicates that you have two options. The Patrician was equipped with Auto-Lite. However the "300", which has the same engine, has both Auto-Lite and Delco-Remy options. The Delco distributor is type 1110825. Both options were available on the "Commercial" models and model "200" as well. I read somewhere that you should not mix distributor, coil, voltage regulator; but I can't imagine that it won't work. Fit will not be a problem; only the design characteristics may be different. Hope this helps and if you need me to I'll dig out the distributor from the parts engine that I have.<P>jnp