39 Super 8 Oil consumption

RO

I personally would not worry about that oil consumption.....I don't worry about some of my cars that "use" a quart every 300 miles. I just keep a check on it and fill as necessary. I don't believe I have any older car that will not be down a quart over that much mileage, but then I change the oil in the older cars every 500 miles.

i'll agree with RO. The oil consumption u speak of was probably the case when the car was new. Sounds to me like u have a mighty good engine. Leave it alone. I would check the oil pressure with a GOOD gauge if there is not a good one on it now. Have witnessed any excessive sludge build up?????

Hello yet again to the List:<P>When I first got this car the valve train appeared sluggish and noisy. A good mechanic recommended that I drive it for at least 300 - 500 miles before I worried about the valves, and that has been the case indeed. There is much less engine noise now, as I have been running the car 3- 5 times a week, and the engine throttle response feels less "sticky".<P>This car is using about 1 - 1.5 quarts of 30 wt oil per 1,000 miles. Over the past two days I have driven it for 250 miles on back roads and highways, occasionaly reaching 60mph.<BR> <BR> It was able to climb, in 3rd gear, a 9% grade from a running start of 20 mph, topping out at 45mph without downshifting or spark knock. (Good clutch & lots of torque, ie size = power).<P>Should I be concerned about the rate of oil consumption? The car does not overheat, starts easily when cold, but will only start with a full down gas pedal when hot, which I believe is due to flooding from old needle valves. It also has a fondness for gasoline which is truly appaling, 10 - 12 mph on a good day.<P>Once again, any advice, suggestions, etc are welcome.<P>Regards,<P>Paul Edwards<BR>New Jersey, USA

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,<P>Thank you for the information and encouragement. I will simply change oil frquently, and maintain the engine in tune. All I need to do now is fix the steering (which means pulling the engine to get a worn bushing), install a new wiring harness, overhaul the carburetor, pack the wheel bearings, etc. Lots to look forward to.<P>Rgds,<P><BR>Paul Edwards<BR>New Jersey, USA