Question on 89 Reatta Driver's side CV axle stub shaft

bikemikey

I'm about to change out my cv axles on my 89 Reatta. I bought the axles from Autozone, the brochure on the driver's side talks about a stub shaft. I'm curious, what can i expect, will the stub shaft come out with the old cv axle or does it stay inside the transmission? Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

The ones I bought were from a local Autozone store. They are new and Duralast Gold and probably the same ones you have posted. They look the same. 

I have a question for you. I'm trying to get the driver's side cv axle out, I've been prying from the back side but with no luck. I assumed this is what you are suppose to do? I noticed there are four bolts sticking through the side of the transmission case with nuts on them around the back side of the CV axle were I am prying against the CV axle . I assume these have nothing to do with getting the CV axle out, am I right? I also have a tool, I forget what it is called, but it is two split wedge halves  with bolts that go through them. I'll see if that will work. Appreciate any info.

Thanks 

Yup, that's the 'approved' method of removal. That said, some of these CV joints REFUSE to pop out. I've gotten creative with two pry bars. I've even used a log splitting wedge and maul to pop that joint/circlip.

Leave the four bolts/nuts alone. 

I've also made up a slide hammer with a shifter fork from a manual transmission welded on

Edited by harry yarnell (see edit history)