New 55 Patrician

Guest Randy Berger

Al K, just for S&G, could you measure the distance from the bottom of your frame to the garage floor? I assume you have a level garage floor. Measure at approximately the center pillar post position from the frame to the floor. I am much interested in the height of your Pat. Thanx.

Randy:<BR>got to work on the new 55 today. took off the grill and the extra 55 trim that makes it look like a 56, can anybody use it. Looks like my idea about the pin striping of the reynolds wrap must be getting around, someone tried to do the same thing with the piece that fits on the gas door. I ook the measurement that you asked for. Using the most up to date scientific instruments and allowing for the co-efficient of the trans-mi-grainian-amendagen, I have come up with 8 3/4 inches

Al, this winter we will be doing the black pinstriping on the Pat. sides, already have a couple rolls or about 80 feet. Haven't measured the total length I will need. The sunvisors are on the windows of the Super Clipper even though the front ones were very tough to fit and I had to do some trimming and I recall I had to do something similar way backi when on the Pat. Big get together 115 miles SE here yesterday and a big bad Duesenberg race care showed up, an awesome sight and sound!

Guest Randy Berger

Al, great minds must think alike. I used 3M SCOTCHCAL 70202 1/8 inch black striping tape for my reynolds wrap except for the two pieces behind the front wheels which were NOS. No one ever notices unless I point out the difference(I quit doing that). If memory serves, there are 24 valleys to be taped. I clear-coated all pieces and let them dry for a day before I handled them. It was tedious but only difficult on the rear quarter pieces which have a ridge built in. I wrapped it around the edges at the ends of the pieces about 1/4 inch to make sure it was anchored securely. That was eight years ago - no problems.

I had taken over the kichen table for 3 weeks. Don't think that did not cause problems. But every morning over coffee I made sure i did 1 to 2 rows. Like you said it was tedious but it got done. This time since it is her car I don't think I will get all the flak about the kitchen table

Guest Randy Berger

Al, you gotta hang onto that gal! First, she tells you to go buy the Packard and now we find out she lets you use the kitchen table. I have a workbench in the train room about 12 feet long. I was required to use that. Those quarter panel pieces are looong!

Yeah I think I'll keep her, I've already turned down two offers for her, both Packards, so it was kind of hard but not only does she clean her car at the show, but she does not like the way I clean mine so she cleans it as well while I go talk to my girl friend and take pictures. It's hard to find women like that any more.

Work on the new(as yet un-named 55) is underway. 90% of the chrome is off and the interior is ready to come out. the bumpers and grille is out ready<BR>to go to the plating shop when i have the money. one lower valance panal has to come off then i have a pile of stuff to go to the sandblaster. My body man came over to inspect and give an estimate. He went over it with a fine tooth comb. Once we got him back into the air conditioning and revived him with a beer, he gave me a figure for floors, body work and paint of under 4K. I think I can live with that. Interior man was supposed to come over but did not show. We think we can save about 80-90% of the blue silver insert brocade material. The outer blue cloth i think we are going to replace with the same shade of blue but in vinyl, dark blue carpeting and a light blue pin hole headliner. I am expecting a bill on that of under 2K. So far all is going according to plan with the exception of selling the 51.

Guest Randy Berger

Al, I wondered about your new Pat sitting so high. My 400 (The Big P) measures 5 1/8 inch from the bottom of the frame to the garage floor. This winter I am going to sit it up on jack stands under the frame and let the suspension hang down. I think because of the way I parked it for several years, (with the rear end jacked up to clear bumpers stacked in the rear of the garage), that the main bars took a "set" and I am going to try to rectify that. <BR>How many grooves do your front links have (part # 15.969, plate no. 31G upper drawing)??<p>[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

Well the new 55 is completely <BR>de-nuded and all of the parts are separated into their respective piles waiting for money. While I am waiting for that I can start working on my 64 Dodge Dart custom Kemp convertible otherwise known as the "COPPERHEAD", more on that later.