'55 Clipper

RO

Yeah AL, that is a slick deal. How'd u pull that one off?????? If i remember right the advertised price for the car was about 2800, which even at that price would have been a good deal. CONGRATULATIONS! I'm just glad that it is 'one of us' that got it.

Keith: Your right the original advertised price was $2800. However when you go to the web site of the owner, the banner page jumped right out at you that the price had been reduced to $1,800. He said if he could not get that he would pull it off the market. Heck I did not have the heart to try and dicker further, I just called him and said I would send him a deposit. Good timing as well, because 4 hours later he got a call from a guy 80 miles away who said he would be ther in 2 hours with cash, and traier to get the car. The guy told him he already had a deal he had to honor. Keep in mind at this point he had no cash in hand from me. We are chomping at the bit to get this car. Two weeks and counting. I will make sure that i take plenty of JPEGS to pass around. I guess I can stop asking "why don't i ever get in on the good deals?"

RO: Why let a litte distance get in the way?? After I get the Dayton Patrician, we just head out to Calif. and get the Clipper. Ask him to meet us half way. No guts - no glory.

Guest Randy Berger

I'll probably catch hell for saying this, but WHY would you want a 55/56 Packard or Clipper without TL? Sounds like an Easter basket with no chocolate or Christmas without trains.

Guest Randy Berger

Al, please don't think I said it was a bad Packard, AND I am all in favor of udders.<BR>It's just that TL is such a great step up in riding comfort and control, why would you buy the sprung version? Sprung here reminds me of the broken watch spring - it's sprung?<BR>Packard made several mistakes and one was not standardizing TL on ALL models. You should not have been able to buy a 55/56 W/O TL. Of course, if you never do anything, you never make mistakes. How many car companies could have changed engines, transmissions and suspension systems in the same year and pulled it off with so few errors and so little production feedback to point out the few flaws that did exist.<BR>As a sidenote, Peter was nice enough to post pix of my 400 taken a few years ago, just before I installed the rear antennae. I really enjoy wheeling that to cruises and just going for a ride.<BR>YFAM, Randy<p>[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

Randy: Just joshin wit ya!!!!<BR>If you recall the T/L suspension was standard on senior cars but optional on the juniors(clippers) and I think it is just like anything else new, if you give someone a choice of something there will always be someone who will opt for the way it was as opposed to the "new-fangled" way. That is why you don't see any s-8's or sixes on junior cars there was no option, it was v-8 or go buy a (gulp) chevy. T/L on the other hand there was an option and obviously somebody was not convinced to take the leap of faith.

Has any experienced Packard afficiando familiar with T-L actually ridden in a coil & leaf sprung 55 Clipper? If so, feedback please. BTW, my Dad had a 1955 Clipper Super 4dr when I was in High School, but it was T-L and that WAS COOL. Especially at the Drive-In movies with a date and manual override switch. You imagine the details.

Guest Kevin AZ

Craig....while speaking with Mitch tonite, he advised that the Clippers not having the T/L drove much like the 53-54's. That's his recollection!