1950 Dodge rear axle removal.

ColonelDan

I did a search within this forum for "rear axle removal" and came up with one other occasion where a member requested guidance with the removal of his rear axel.  He, coincidently, happened to have a 1950 Dodge as well.  He didn't receive any advice.

I remember from my youth, the axle is basically beat off with a slide hammer threaded to the end of the axle once all the brake hardware and outer seal is removed.  The bearings and outer bearing race comes out with it (if I have this worked out properly in my mind).  The inner bearing race and inner seal must be removed subsequently in a similar manner (with slide hammer or some similar tool).  Can anyone confirm this is all correct and if no advise otherwise?

My problem is then where do I obtain the necessary tools.  When I search the internet for rear axle removal, all sources show the use of a slide hammer attached to the axle flange.  My car doesn't have an axle flange (the brake drum is attached to the axle via a tapered shaft and key.

I've considered re-attaching the drum to the axle and then attaching the slide hammer to it.  I'm just not certain this is the correct approach.  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dan

As I'm sure you know, the first thing you need to do is get the brake drum off.  This is the hardest part of the job unless you're extremely lucky.  Usually you need a large three or five arm hub puller.  They show up on EBay quite often . It's better to buy a good old one made in the USA - the new made in China models will break on you.  Mine cost 80 bucks and it has been worth every penny.  The puller arms bolt to the drum and a center screw is screwed against the end of the axle.  There's a dogbone shaped device on the end of the screw that you beat with a sledge.  Make sure you leave the nut loose on the axle as the drum can pop off with a great deal of force and fly across the shop.  It may take some time and you may have to keep tightening it over the course of several days, but it will come off.  Also make sure the brakes are backed off and not grabbing the drum.

Remove the outer axle seal.  Now take the key off the axle and slip the drum back on the axle shaft loosely.  Put the nut back on.  The drum should be loose enough to slide back and forth on the axle.  Grab the edges of the drum - not the backing plate - push it in and then pull it sharply forward against the nut.  In my experience, a few good pulls with the drum rapping sharply against the nut will pull the axle out with no problem.

With the axle removed, the bearing races are pulled out with a two or three armed slide hammer.  The claws/arms grab the inner lip of the bearing race and a few bangs with the slide hammer will pull them out.  You need to buy or rent a good puller.  They usually run about 90 bucks new.  You will destroy the inner oil seal getting the inner race out.  

This information is for my 32 Dodge, which has two bearings on each axle.  At some point they switched to a single bearing and I'm not sure which you have.  This method will work on either type axle.  I can post some pictures if this isn't clear.  Good luck.

• Like 1

One other note, make sure you have all the seals and bearings you need before you start the job or your car will be laid up until you get them.  Most important on that inner seal.  I live about an hour and a half away - if you get stuck, I have all the tools and would be glad to come over and give you a hand.

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick and complete response.  I do have the drum off one side.  Haven't tackled the other side yet.  I own a Made-in-China three leg "heavy duty" puller but, as you indicate, it may not hold up long.  But for now, it is what I have.  Using the drum as the slide hammer is pretty ingenious.  I hadn't considered that as a possibility.  I will try it next weekend.  I am removing the axles in order to pull the differential carriage.  The gasket is leaking pretty badly - so I'll take this opportunity to replace all the seals at the same time.  I appreciate your offer to assist and may take you up on your offer if I have difficulties.  I live at the southeast corner of Indy and presently work in South Bend (4 days a week).  Depending on where you live from here, we could meet sometime as I travel to and from work.

• 1 month later...

I got the axles and carrier out this evening.  I tried using the the drum as a slide hammer as you, Tailormade, had suggested but had no success.  Not enough stroke and I didn't have enough umph.  So I obtained a couple of 3/4 inch, 16TPI nuts, a 3/4 inch flat washer, and a couple of 5/8 inch, 18TPI nuts and welded them all together to create a slide hammer to axle adapter.  This was suggested by someone on either this or another forum.  It worked great.  Both axles came out in less than a minute after I had attached the adapter and the slide hammer.  Even though I was unable to make your suggestion work, I appreciate your advice.

Dan

I assume you will be heading through Indy on a weekday.  I work out of town (South Bend for the time being) Monday through Thursday.  For the month of October, I'll be working Monday through Friday.  So, unless you plan on traveling through on Saturday or Sunday, our rendezvous will have to be delayed - perhaps on your return trip.  Enjoy Hershey.  Wish I were going.

Dan