`47 Transmission help

falco

Last Month, I buy a `47 Super 56C. Now the Car is here, the manual Transmission is very noisy in low Gear.

Not in reverse, second and third Gear. So, I take out the Transmission. It seems to be used without Oil.

Some Gears are serious worn. Lucky me, I`ve an good `42 Transmission in stock, but it has a short Tail end

and the `47 a long Tail end. So, I swith the tail ends and replace the front and rear Bearings and U joint.

Also I give the Clutch plate a new Surface. Pressure Plate and throw out Bearing are good.

Now after mounting the whole stuf, the low Gear is noisy again, a little les but to noisy to be good.

The linkage Rods move free from the Engine.

Has anyone an idea what can make the noise in only first Gear?

Thanks, Falco

1st and 2nd run through the countershaft bearing.  How was this bearing and shaft condition?   Usually 2nd is the noisier gear when the countershaft bearing is bad.  Due to it spinning faster than 1st.

Otherwise your 1st gears could be bad.  Once gears are worn and noisy then nothing will help them.  The pattern is worn in.  

• Like 1

Thanks for your reaction Janousek,

I think, I must take out the transmission again. There was one Gear with a litle bit of Pitting.

I thougt it can`t make such a lot of noise.

Maybe I can buy a new countershaft. Anyone an idea where?

Thanks, Falco

The manual (1954) states that 1st gear will have noise.  2nd less noise and 3rd no noise.   However, 1 st gear can get quite noisy.  Almost sounds like a school bus in low gear.   Wear pattern or needle bearings the cause.  Possibly both.  I rarely use 1st gear as mine is a bit noisy.  I noticed some noisy 1st gears cruising into the BCA 50th in Allentown.  Manual states starting in 2nd is ok on level ground.  Not enough friction heat is created to cause any problems. In my 54 1st gear is so low it feels more like a stump puller.    In any case, 1st gear can have quite a bit of noise.  Wear pattern, pitting or needle bearings.  If these all look good then what you hear is how it will be.

I do recall at a show a fella remembering hearing his neighbors 1954 Buick down the street when he started off in 1st gear.  It was quite loud according to him.            

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a nice link to these manuals shared by manufactures over the years.   Note: 

According to John Sawruk, the noise and/or gear whine of the old Buick brought about it's demise. 

And this is another the reason I use 2nd gear to start off as much as possible(55 and earlier light duty 3 speeds):

This trans will fail under excessive torque, as the miniscule slider and corresponding cluster gear(s) are simply not strong enough.  High torque forces the slider away from the cluster, and a broken gear tooth is inevitable...

So I start off in 2nd gear smoothly, quietly and without issue.   When I pull redwood stumps I use 1st gear(or a hill start).   I treat it like a manual 2 speed Dynaflow.  

http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garage/ManualTransmissions/index.htm

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)