Code E046 - EGR? or electrical connection?

fordrodsteven

SO.... I decided to drive my Reatta to a place 1/2 hour away so I could buy a lift for my garage. This is probably the longest drive I've taken since I got it. Anyway. A couple months ago I got E046 code. I did the tests (failed on all 3 solonoids) and it needed a new EGR valve assembly. I put in the new EGR and it has been just fine with no problems or codes. Today it threw the E046 code in the last few minutes of my errand. I ran the tests and did the over rides on the solonoids. according to the manual it should stumble on #1 & 2. On #3 it could stumble or stall. It stumbled when I did the input on EGR solenoid #1 (low). It did nothing on solenoid #2 (medium) and stalled out on solenoid #3 (hi). I unplugged it (whew! very hot because I just got home from the one hour drive) and checked the pins / plug. they looked okay. I plugged it back in and still got code E046 and it would not clear the code. I walked away because I had some other stuff to do. Four hours later I started the car up and it gave me the warning screen. I went into diagnostics and it allowed me to clear the code. I ran the test overriding the solonoids. and it functioned correctly with all three solonoids causing the desired effect. (Engine stumble on #1 & 2 and stall on #3).

I scrutinized the connector plug and found a small crack in the body. Now I am torn between a possible bad connection due to the crack (I don't think it should make a difference because the metal to metal pin is still engaging) or replace the EGR because it possibly has a sticking solenoid due to the heat. By the way it WAS over 90 degrees today.

I'm prone to think I should buy another EGR valve and change it out. Any suggestions other that what I am thinking?