Seal ID

Taylormade

Does anyone know what this type of seal is called.  It's felt on the outer diameter encased in a steel channel.  It fits on the end of the throwout bearing sleeve on my 1932 Dodge DL.  Not sure if they still make this type of thing or where I would get one.  Size is 41.9mm ID and 47.85 OD.

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Owen_Dyneto said:

For that type of seal I've just purchased a new felt and inserted it into the old metal carrier.  I purchased the felts from George at OlCar Bearing though I don't see any reason why you couldn't just buy sheet felt and cut your own ring.

That's a great idea. but there is a problem.  The front face of the new throwout bearing is not the same as the old one.  The new bearing has a slightly smaller opening.

IMG_7190.jpg

So the current seal will not fit as its OD is too big.  The metal channel of the seal hits the bearing.  I need a seal with the same ID and a 47.85 OD.

This is how the seal fits (the green area is the seal).IMG_7173.jpg

I also noticed that the new bearing is just a little thicker than the old one.  I have it seated down all the way and it is flush with the inner lip rather than being slightly below it as the old bearing was in the picture above..  So I probably need a slightly thinner seal to be able to swage it in place.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)