Resolved: Upper Wheel Arm - 1930 series 60

studebrooklyn

Greetings, Community.

Sadly, the wrong wheel lugs were used on my 1930 Buick 60 during a recent service.

Consequently, the passenger front wheel came off while driving. Luckily I felt it about to happen and slowed to a stop just as it happened.

I have the steel wire wheels.

In the process, the passenger right upper arm housing that mounts to the chassis cracked right down the middle. Apologies for not knowing the correct term for this part. The rod inside seems ok.

I need to find a replacement. I may temporarily take the one off my series 60 coupe so that I can make the show in Allentown later this month, but hate to do that to her.

Does anyone have a lead on where I can find one? Does anyone make castings of these? (doubt it!) Or is there stock somewhere, anyone parting out?

Many thanks,

Michael

Edited by studebrooklyn (see edit history)

Happy news:

I was wrong! when the wheel came off, nothing snapped. Upon further inspection and comparing with my 68, the area i thought that had "broken" near the chassis is really a damper meant to slide in and out.

However, it does look like this area used to be covered by a leather boot. Anyone have a source on these?

I will still need to find the correct wheel lugs, too. Any leads there?

Many thanks,

Michael