Turn Signal Bulbs 39'

boaterhat

Those of you with working turn signals I have some questions. Every search I do on Google ends up going nowhere.

Current bulbs I have in are only marked "1125". What bulbs work?

What is included with the  harness kit from Road Island Wiring?

Any photos of the installed wiring and inside of your deck lid would help greatly.

Thanks,

J.  

According to the 39 parts book a turn signal bulb is a 145416 which is a 1154  21-3 candlepower. See here  http://www.bulbtown.com/1154_Miniature_Bulb_Bay15d_Base_p/1154.htm 

Perhaps someone has changed your bulb for aomething else.  An 1125 seems to be a 1125 Miniature Indicator Lamp - RP11 Bulb - 25 Watt - 12 Volt - DC Bayonet (BA15d)  commonly used on motorcycles.

You don't say your voltage but if someone had changed to 12 volts your bulb would be either a 1034 or an 1157.  See here http://www.bulbtown.com/1034_Miniature_Bulb_BaY15d_Base_p/1034.htm

Thank you!!

I'm still running 6v. Some of the bulbs have been swapped out. A week or so ago I pulled my headlamps, I didn't notice the "sealed beam" stamp on the lenses, I was a little bummed at first but I'm glad for that switch over.

I'm going to check my tail bulbs today, funny feeling those are 12v also, heck the dome light is a 12v but I can't get it out.

Thank you again,

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up question:

The diagram is vague and doesn't seem to indicate any information on the flasher. Will any 6v flasher work? Do I need a three prong (as I see three wires coming out) or a two prong?

Thanks,

J.

Of course, any 6 volt flasher would work.  If yours is three prong replace it with a three prong.  You can get flashers that are silent by the way.  I hate nothing more than the loud clicking of flashers and have always changed mine to silent ones even on my wife's new cars.  One thing to remember if you change any bulbs to LED you will need a different type of flasher as the LED bulbs do not draw enough current to activate a normal flasher.

TinIndian,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still a little lost though as I don't have a flasher currently. Manual shows three wires in, I'm guessing three prong. However I'm not sure if there's some piggie backing here.

All,

Unrelated question. Where would one connect at spot light electrically speaking. I have one, it's mounted but doesn't work. I'm not the Circ-do-sol-lay performer so I haven't quite fit up in there yet to see it.

Thanks,

J.

OK so harness is somewhat installed. I'm testing fitting. The problem is the fuse doesn't make contact to both wires. It's a 6 am sfe 1/4x3/4 in fuse. Nothing is going to work without it so has anyone installed the Road Island Wiring signal harness before?

On 6/24/2016 at 0:08 PM, boaterhat said:

Thank you!!

I'm still running 6v. Some of the bulbs have been swapped out. A week or so ago I pulled my headlamps, I didn't notice the "sealed beam" stamp on the lenses, I was a little bummed at first but I'm glad for that switch over.

My 39 had been switched over to sealed beams, and I switched it back to bulbs and reflectors.  I rarely drive it at night, and wanted it to be original.  I had the reflectors chromed and they put out some light, but not great.

Good luck with getting the flashers working.  I had a mechanic help me get mine going several years back.  Mine does not click, so it must be the silent 6v flasher.  Good luck!

I have a 1940 Super I believe the bulbs would be the same.  I have always used 1133 bulbs in my rear signals, they are actually a single filament headlight bulb, 32 candlepower. I recently picked up a box of 1183 bulbs quite cheaply on eBay, they are similar but 50 candlepower. I am still running 6 volts but am using Halogen sealed beams (40 was first year for sealed beams) and LED's in all other lights. I cannot use the LED's in the rear turn signals since the LED's are directional and the turn signal bulbs are mounted sideways. I use a pair of amber fog lights for my front signals as even with LED's the original signals are hard to see.

Tomas,

Are you using the original signal switch? 2 or 3 prong relay? Any suggestions and/or photos of the wiring/switches would be very helpful.

3 hours ago, Thomas J. Bianculli said:

I have a 1940 Super I believe the bulbs would be the same.  I have always used 1133 bulbs in my rear signals, they are actually a single filament headlight bulb, 32 candlepower. I recently picked up a box of 1183 bulbs quite cheaply on eBay, they are similar but 50 candlepower. I am still running 6 volts but am using Halogen sealed beams (40 was first year for sealed beams) and LED's in all other lights. I cannot use the LED's in the rear turn signals since the LED's are directional and the turn signal bulbs are mounted sideways. I use a pair of amber fog lights for my front signals as even with LED's the original signals are hard to see.

Hello, I am using everything original on the car except the plugs going into the rear sockets. I had lost one when I stripped the car for painting and then bought the deck lid wiring used on eBay so I assume all is original. The 1940 switch differs from the 1939 in that it is like a modern switch in the column with the handle on the right side of the steering column. 1940 uses a rod type shifting lever rather than the stamped steel of the 1939 with the turn signal switch on top of it.  The flasher is 3 prong, I have an old one floating around my desk from when I ordered a new one. It is a TungSol P229D. The wires have terminals and each prong has a screw rather than the flasher being plugged in. As mentioned before I have played around with LED bulbs and I had to try a few flashers before I could get one to work with the LED's in the front that draw less. There are flashers all over eBay at various prices.   This site: http://antiquecardiagrams.com/Buick.html will sell you a download of the 1939 Buick Wiring diagrams so you can check out if your flasher and sockets are wired correctly.  When in doubt, Google. That's how I found this forum for the first time last week even though I have belonged to AACA since 1969.

Restoration Supplies, www.restorationstuff.com   carries halogen bulbs for your bulb type headlamps, and upgrade kits with and without reflectors. The 6 volt kit to use your reflectors with 2 bulbs and new sockets is $57.00.

Good luck,  Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

JCK55Buick,

How did you and your Mechanic get them working? Are you using the original plugs?

Tomas,

Thank you for the info.

Everyone,

Here's what I got so far, very intermittent turn signals. However I have strong current coming from the switch through to the terminals. I'm using 1129 Sylvania bulbs, this is the correct number according to the manual. I'm also using the proper 6 amp SFE fuse thought I can't find the proper length I stretched out the spring in the fuse holder. I spoke with one of the techs at RIW and we determined that this could work. I'm so close yet no luck. What's really funny is the right signal was doing a great job now nothing. The right signal worked today for about 10 sec. then I pushed on the terminal and now I have no flashers.

If you have any tricks let me know.

Thanks everyone,

J.

PS: are you guys using the foam gaskets between the buckets and trunk lid?  

• 3 weeks later...

They work!!!!!

After some work and a lot of sweat I got these puppies to work! The right signal wire had been pretty much severed some how and that was what kept that side from working. The break occurred right at the body exit-to-deck lid. What a pain it was the splice.

Honestly a lot of work for not much, they are dim, those "deflectors" in the lenses deflect alright, backwards the bulbs. I don't know how you can run 1133 bulbs in there, mind didn't fit.

But it's done so the Wife is happy.

J.