1919 Overland fluids and capacities

Guest Rick L

Guest Rick L

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I'm doing a bit of work on a 1919 Overland, specifically the blue car in this image:

1919_overland_1.jpg

I've searched high and low, through various books and repair manuals looking for transmission and differential fluids. I'm coming up blank.

When drained, the transmission fluid had the viscosity of either straight 90 weight or 80/90 as well as smelled like it. However the owner says it might be like the '600' which applies to the model T.

Anyone can point me to the specs i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much!

Rick L

the blue car is a overland model 4. If it has the original engine & trans, the trans. & engine share the same oil.

Drain engine & trans. oil refill with 6qrts motor oil. differential should have 600 . you should also remove & clean

the engine  oil strainer.

hope this helps Bob

Guest Rick L
43 minutes ago, bob staehle said:

Rick L

the blue car is a overland model 4. If it has the original engine & trans, the trans. & engine share the same oil.

Drain engine & trans. oil refill with 6qrts motor oil. differential should have 600 . you should also remove & clean

the engine  oil strainer.

hope this helps Bob

Bob, your information is priceless, and just as well what we had been discussing. I've got the trans out today, noticing the flywheel is open to the bell housing, where the main shaft bearings are not sealed, therefore must share oil with the engine.

However the propellor shaft also seem to have ports where the yolk is, leading to the tailshaft and as well open bearings on the rear mainshaft.

As well, '600' has been slowly seeping from the enclosed propellor shaft.

I suppose this has left me pondering how or where the seal is between the differential oil, or grease as they say, happens. As I have also removed the tailshaft , the owner has made new seals, and painted.

One more question please, what motor engine oil was called for, I am going to assume considering no filter was fitted from the factory, this will be a straight weight non detergent, am I close? What weight?

Edited by Rick L (see edit history)