Nailhead Oil pressure

Hello,<BR>This is my first post since registering with this fine group. I have a recently rebuilt 401 in a 65 Riviera. I recently installed aftermarket mechanical gauges, including an oil pressure gauge. With engine cold, oil pressure at idle and at speed is 40+ psi. But, when engine warms up, pressure at speed is still in this same range, but drops to almost nil (5 psi) at idle. I hear no clacking noises, and know the engine was rebuilt right (by me, grew up in a shop and have rebuilt literally hundreds of engines, but this is my first Buick Nailhead, our clientele was almost exclusively Ford and Chevy people.) I know this pressure cannot be normal. I am running 10W-40 oil, should I go back to straight 30 weight? I can't think this would make a significant difference. Engine has a new stock oil pump, I tried to find a high volume pump, just because that is what I always liked to use, machine shops around here (South Carolina) couldn't find a listing on one. Does anyone have any experience with shimming the relief valve spring on oil pumps to get higher pressure, or something else that could be done. I don't want to waste the over $1100 worth of new parts in this engine due to lack of oiling. Educate me if there is something special about this engine, please.<P>------------------<BR>

I had the same problem with my 425, when rebuilt, cold oil pressure was 40 lbs, soon as it warmed up dropped to about 8 lbs. Tried every suggestion, blocked oil gallerys,<BR>plugs in front of block in too far, spun front cam bering??. Finally I ordered a high volume oil pump from Carmen Faso, and went to a heavier oil. Now pressure is a steady<BR>20-24 lbs hot and 45 lbs cold. Old phone # for Carmen Faso 716-693-4090, N.Y. He has many Buick Goodies and his REBUILDS are excellent, carbs, distributors, oil pumps.<P>Jim Schilf /palbuick@aol.com

I forgot to add that shimming the spring will have no effect on idle pressure. it will only raise running pressure. I had a 58 Pontiac that carried 5 or 6 lbs, at idle and I worried for the first50,000 miles and when I sold it with 122,000 it still carried the same pressure<BR> Joe T<BR>

The only thing that I would add is, I would never assume that any new part meets quality spec. Check it before you use it. Your new oil pump may have excessive internal clearances. I have done a couple 401 engines. On both of those the original pumps were excellent, but the rod bearings were going and bleeding off the oil pressure.

I have a 401 from a 65 Riviera with 10,000 miles on the rebuild. When the engine is cold it will be about 40 lb pressure. After the engine has run at temperature for a few miles and you come to a stop the pressure drops to around 10 lb. The pressure goes back to 30-35 lbs when driving.I have a 1972 motors repair manual and it states 'Normal'oil pressure is 33 lbs.Slightly above idle maybe 1500 RPM the pressure will move up to 20-25 pounds.