455 motor ???????????

I still cannot see any markings on block of the motor. Did Buick make any other cubic inch motor in the big block configuration other than 455 cu. This motor is a big block. As to what year I cannot tell. It has to be a later year as it came with an HEI ignition. The motor appears (as I scraped the 2 inches of grease from it ) to have been painted bluish green? It could have been rebuilt and the builder did not know the appropriate color.I hoping that this is not something other than a 455. Thanks for the help.<P>------------------<BR>455 Ken

Guest grisby

Ken, HEI means nothing--could of been added any time. BUT HEI with bluish green engine means either a 75-76 motor(maybe 74 but not sure-I know 73 was red). If you want an easy way to tell if its a 455 without doing any work to it(ie pulling heads for stampings or crawling underneath)the easiest way is looking at the valve covers. 455 had 5 hold downs, bolt holes or whatever else you want to call them. 3 on top and 2 at the bottom(where they usually leak--LOL) 350 buicks had 6 bolt holes. As to why you dont see any stamping nbr between the nbr 5 and 7 plugs, well, mayber it was decked, maybe filled with paint(even though grease was removed) or maybe not even stamped. Perhaps the assembly worker had a bad day on the line and did not feel like stamping it, or hit it very lightly and it never took. Quality control was a little different in the 70's.<BR>Hope this helps,<BR>bill g<P><BR>O yeah, Buick also made a 430 but that was up till 69, 70 was the first year for the 455. The color you are seeing is called "GM Corporate Blue" which is another story in itself. If you have an aqua/teal green motor and the distributor is in the back then you have a Buick Nailhead, which I doubt very much that you have- thats an older buick engine. FWIW the nailhead in my opinion is a sharp looking "prettiest" thing you ever saw, once you've seen one you would know what I mean. Sorry to get a little off topic.<BR>bill g

Look at area behind intake. It should say what size motor. 400-430 or 455. It may need little cleaning but it is there if it is one of the 3 mentioned above sizes.

Russ is refering to the area above the flywheel. You'll have to scrape off the grease and dirt, but there should be a BIG 455 there.<P>------------------<BR>George C. Thomas<BR>70 GS 455 12.teens<BR>86 GN Low 13's/ high 12's