48 LZ Continental Spare Tire Removal

I have a 48 LZ with the Continental spare tire.<BR>Are there any instructions or can someone tell me how to remove the Continental Spare Tire?<BR>I've taken the licensce plate frame down to pull the cover off, and it was awkward so it seems like there must be some method to it that I haven't yet understood.<BR>Thanks, Don

Hi Don, Connie spare tires are an awkward process, as I recall on my '41, I used to do all the disassembly on the ground on a blanket, to takeoff the faceplate and the ring, so as not to scratch them up, avoid a hernia lifting that heavy assembly so high, I dis remember about the license plate and stop light, but I vaguely remember a swing away dealie, but will defer to some one with a Connie, it has been a long time for me. Your paint problem sounds like a job for Colorite, (203) 393-0240, or <A HREF="http://www.color-ite.com" TARGET=_blank>www.color-ite.com</A> The hubcaps are still confusing, should be explained easily in a chassis part book, with pictures, I don't happen to have one, but I would like to know the answer too, if it differs from what Bob Meade told us before, good luck

To remove the 1948 Spare: Remove the "Nut" that holds the brake/stop lite. It's the same size as the wheel lug nuts. Fold the stop lite assy. back and down as for as it'll go. Remove hub cap and the lug nut on spare. (I use a paint can opener to remove the hub cap.)Now wrap the spare tire and wheel outer cover (The sheet metal) with a old blanket, put back and lift the tire & wheel cover as one unit. Lay unit on ground/floor and take off the wheel cover. If you have a problem doing this task, Email me with your phone number and I'll walk though this with you. I have a 48. cool.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rolf and Willie,<BR> Thanks for the input. The use of a blanket to take the sheet metal off the tire is great. I was really struggling in mid air with it. I like the idea of using a paint lid remover to get the hubcap off. <BR> Is there anything that keeps the sheet metal from moving around when you are driving? It appears to just sit on the tire, and can rotate around it.