1941 lincoln overdrive wiring

Guest 40-41 connies

Guest 40-41 connies

My overdrive is not wired up and I have not been able to locate a true wiring diagram to rewire. I found one diagram that showed a transmission relay with 4 poles for hook up. The one on my 41 firewall has 6 poles. The solinoid is not wired at all so I dont know where to start. thanks, Pete Vamvakas

Hi Pete, this is not brain surgery, nothing will blow up or catch fire if you fool around with a fused hot wire a little, the first thing to get working is your push pull overdrive control knob, when it is working right, pushed in will put you in free wheeling, when you let off the gas in gear the car will coast, like you were in neutral, when you pull the knob out, you will have compression, and the car will slow down like a conventional 3 speed transmission. The terminals on your dash mounted relay are usually marked, and as I recall the extra two terminals were for wires that interupted the coil on the distributor when you went into overdrive, the OD loom from Rhode Island, is not very expensive, and probally has the instructions for properly connecting it, there are a variety of ways to wire around the original set up with toggle switches and such, the main thing is to get a 6 volt hot wire to the solenoid, so it will activate the pawl that makes it go into OD when you are in free wheeling, the kickdown and governor are just nice to have, but not absolutely necessary to make the OD function, I used to use LZ Overdrives in hot rod Fords, and had a variety of different wiring schemes to make them do what I wanted them too, but a hot wire to the solenoid is the key. Check out that stock loom, probally your best bet, good luck

Guest 40-41 connies

Thank you for the information. I wil play around a little as you said to get a hot wire to the solinoid and see if it works. Thanks, Pete Vamvakas

Hi Pete and Rolf,<BR> There is a Lincoln/Lincoln Zephr service Bulletin Subject No. 7650 dated June 6, 1941, that has a good discussion on the overdrive. It shows 2 schematics one each for cars built before or after Nover 10. Both schematics show a relay with 5 terminals. <BR>The Service Manual for 1946-1948 Ford/ Lincoln/Mercury has a schematic in it with a relay with 6 terminals.<BR>If you have access to those it may help.<BR>I appreciate Rolf's discussion on the basics of getting it working.<BR>Don

That is really interesting Don, I very vaguely remember a tiny light on the dash of the '46-'48 Lincolns, that indicated it was in OD, so it could be that that 6th terminal was used for that, wish some post-war guy would confirm that though, I am mostly a '41 guy. That relay should work OK on a '41, and the rest of the wiring should all be the same. Would sure be nice to have aprint-out of that schematic, if possible, would eliminate a lot of old-fogey guesswork-

Guest 40-41 connies

Hope that someone has a fax and the print out of the wiring. If you would be so kind to fax to Pete Vamvakas 972 7848422 Monday thru friday 8:30 to 5:00 central time Thank you Pete Vamvakas

Hi Rolf and Pete, There is a light on the dash for the 46-48. The light is connected to a kickdown switch terminal. The difference though is inside the relay. The 5- Terminal relay for the 41 has one coil, and 2 sets of contacts in side according to the drawing. The 6 Terminal Relay for 46-48 has two coils, and 3 sets of contacts. One coil for the distributor contacts(2 contacts), and one coil for the solenoid contacts.<BR>I have found a bigger picture of the 46-49 overdrive wiring in a copy of the Clymer publication "The Lincoln Continental".<BR>I will have to go Xerox the pages before I can FAX them. It might be easier for me to scan them and send them as an attachment via E-mail.<P>Don

Guest 40-41 connies

As my lincoln is a 1941 and the relay could be a 41 or a 46. To find out, I will pull the cover on the relay and see how many coils and contcts are inside.If you have a wiring info I would appreciate your Emailing to: pbvsr@aol.com. Thanks for the information. Pete Vamvakas

Guest 40-41 connies

Many thanks to Don for the wiring diagrams on the 41 wiring. Too cold today to work on it but now have the tools to get it running. Thanks again Don, Pete

Guest 40-41 connies

Many thanks to Don for the wiring diagrams on the 41 wiring. Too cold today to work on it but now have the tools to get it running. Thanks again Don, Pete