1911 Model 26 Transmission oil / usage question

Guest Moosemiester

Guest Moosemiester

Thanks for any advice!

First brass car so learning.  When first started very difficult to get into first, way too much grinding of gears.  After it gets good and hot it's better.  After a short drive (Sorting out lots of problems, the farthest I've gone is one mile) leaks 1/2 a cup of fluid out.  What's in there seems way too thin, like mineral oil.

OK so PO put the wrong oil in, found a source for 600wt.  So my question, I have four drain plugs, and one overflow, and the only way to put oil in is to remove one of the floorboards, take 2 screws off, and remove a little plate.

so I guess one fills it until it runs out the overflow?

Any clue how much oil I need?  

Thanks don't want to discover later I was supposed to only remove one of those plugs...

Alan

Kerrville, TX

You could use a suction pump (like the ones to empty the oil filter canister).  Just suck the oil from the container and pump it into the overflow plug opening.  If you put the 600W container in a pot of boiling hot water for a few minutes it pumps a lot easier.

Alan,

You seem to be on the right track with the 600wt gear lube.  A good rule of thumb is to cover the bottom 1/3 of the drive gears as a minimum.  If you have an overflow plug on the side of the tranny, fill to that level. 

The engine has a total waste oil system that does not recirculate used oil.  After every 100 miles or so, you need to drain four of the upper level drains (with valves) on pan.  The other four drains should have plugs and should only be used to completely drain the engine.  I use the used oil to fill my oil can to lube the rockers, etc.