Windshields Re-visited

Rolf

HI Gang, just took the broken windshield out of my '41, and was surprised to learn that the glass sits in the rubber, and then the assembly sits in a cavity with no retaining lip around the outside edge, it just squeezes in, and seals to the metal, but I am shocked that after only 60 years, my WS rubber is limp and rotten, was wondering if anyone has found an affordable, quality source for a new one?? Also have discovered that the gas tank sending unit needs to be replaced, any help there?? Thanks a lot, Rolf

Hi Rolf BILL Uhouse here, yes I took mine out too but W/S rubber was in good shape, and just cleaned it up and coated it with the with the solution you recommended [bRAKE CYLINDER AND ASSEMBLY LUBE].Then after it dried I coated it with POR 15 BOSS GLOSS. Mine had the Chrome piece that is inserted in the rubber to expand it and make it seal to the glass which has to be removed first.The reason the rubber is designed that way is to allow it to pop out incase of a accident "FORD PIONEERED THE POP OUT GLASS WINDOW SEAL"<P>Your Zephyr should have that chrome piece also, and I have been buying my rubber seals from NARRAGASET out of RodeIsland, I think they are $150 bucks. I noticed awhile back in Hemmings that a person in CA. makes the rubber if you send them the pieces much cheaper. I'll have to look it up again.<P>BILL

Thanks Bill, cheaper is much better, would appreciate it if you can find it. The trim strip around the window in the '41 is not in the rubber seal, but is attached to the edge of the WS opening with some special clips that are going to be tough with all the rust, letting them soak now in penetrating oil, "rust free" California cars huh?? That's a hot one.