1948 Lincoln V12 convertible

I am looking at a 1948 Lincoln V12 convertible. Could anyone please comment on any areas of concern like rust etc. power top that an unfamiliar first time buyer like myself should know before making the leap. The engine has been rebuilt. Were there many options for these cars and what would they have bee? Is a Zephyr regarded as a plus for this car or a minus. If someone wants to email me directly feel free at frescura@home.com. Many many thanks!

Hi Frisk, good luck on entering the Lincoln World, just got a rough '41 myself, so will be travelling down the same road for a while. The bad rust spots to watch on old Lincolns are on the floor board in the drivers compartment, under the doors, and around the edges of the fenders where they bolt to the body and in the corners of the wheel outline, There were few factory options other than overdrive, radio, and heater, the thing to be wary of is the "rebuilt" engine, I have seen many rebuilds that were virtually junk, burned oil and had low oil pressure right from the beginning, check the engine carefully for low oil pressure when warm, blue smoke at idle and on acceleration, some smoke whenever running, and watch for heating problems on long hills, hope this helps, and that the car checks out to your satisfaction, good luck, Rolf

Thank you very much Rolf for that information. This was the exact kind of thing I was looking for.<BR>Many thanks again<BR>GEORGE

• 1 month later...

Hi Frisk.<BR>I was just reading your letter in the lincoln forum. did you buy a 48 Lincoln zypher conv.? I am in the process of restoring one now. It should be out of the paint shop at the end of the month.<BR>If you need any help or information please drop me a line. the lincoln also had a spot light as an option some with lincoln badge and some with ford but all made by unity, also under seat heaters. if the car is undercoated look for rust in front of the doors under the car were the unibody is welded to the frame and floor, I had to replace that whole section.<BR> Good Luck. Jack <A HREF="http://www.jps.net/pandamarie" TARGET=_blank>www.jps.net/pandamarie</A>