What radial tire size?

What is the best radial tire size to replace 7.60 x 15 tires on a 1962 LeSabre? I have found conflicting information. The Coker Tire charts seem to indicate 225/75R15, but 235/75R15 may be a bit closer in diameter. Anyone got a solid answer, with reasons? What size have you had experience with?

Search the thread for 'Tire Size', there's a nice size one here somewhere which has info for 14 and 15 inch hubs. I have 14inch and run 225/70/14, much better then 215/75/14 smile.gif<P>From memory, if it serves correctly. You can put 245/65/15 on those hubs if you wanted. Someone also said they have 255/60/15 on thiers, but that was rear wheel only.<P>Seek and ye shall find.. Hit that Search button. :-)<P>With Buick Regards,<P>CB<BR>

I would tend to agree with Coker's recommendations as they typically are based on correct dimensions than load carrying capacity. I initially suspected the 7.60-15 size to be a little large for the 1962 LeSabre, but verified it in the 1991 BCA Roster tire section.<P>Looking at later LeSabre/Wildcats in that list to get an idea of the size progressions, I believe you will find that several years later on the same body series went to 8.45-15 sizing. That would equate to the older 7.10-15 size being replaced by the similar 8.15-15 size and the 7.60-size being replaced by the 8.45-15 size.<P>The 8.15-15 size later went to 8.25-15, G78-15, and now P215/75R-15. Similarly, the 8.45-15 size became the H78-15 and now the P225/75R-15. That would leave the larger sizes of old to be replaced by the 8.85-15, J or L/78-15, and now P235/75R-15.<P>The P235/75R-15 tire is quite a tall tire. I suspect that the P225/75R-15 would be the best from dimensional charteristics and have great cosmetics also and also work well with your stock width wheels--15x5.5 wheels might be a bit narrow, but the 15x6 would be fine. <P>With the P225/75R-15 size, if you have sufficient body and suspension clearance on the inner side of the wheel, you might consider the bulkier P235/70R-15 size that came on the most recent Roadmasters and is currently common on the S-10 Blazers. This size would certainly work best with the wider 6" wheel due to the wider tread width. Any of these three sizes whould be available in whitewalls.<P>In any case, some people have differing ideas of how they want their vehicles to look. I doubt that there will be issues with the tires hitting the body with the wheels turned and also going through dips, etc. But the ultimate width might be an issue with the steering/suspension areas on the front, although I suspect everything will be fine there also (unless you get something totally out of whack with the width or custom wheels).<P>My recommendation would be the P225/75R-15 in a quality brand of your choice. The P235/70R-15 could possibly be an alternative with the 15x6 wheels. I'd start with about 28-30psi f/r tire pressure and see how that went (with your useages and loads) and maybe go upward from there.<P>With the tire upgrade, do not forget about the rest of the suspension items and make sure they are in great shape to fully enjoy the new radial tires and to make sure they last like they should.<P>Enjoy! <P>