I must get out my newsletter

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, First a little background and then a few questions.<P>I must get out my newsletter. My region meeting is the second Wednesday and I try to get it out to the members 2 or 3 mailing days before the meeting to remind them. My board meets the first Wednesday, they always seem to have last minute stuff to dump on me at the meeting. So, this week I must get to work. Some of my friends have sent me their monthly effort already.<P>Now the questions. <P>Who hates a deadline? Who gets complaints if it is late? Who has a life other than being editor? Who asks for material and gets limited input? <P>I want to see if others have the same kinds of problems. I bet you do, because old car people from all over the US seem to be the same when it comes to meets, tours and eating, the fun stuff! SalG<p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 04-30-2000).]

Actually I thrive on deadlines; nothing would ever get done around here without them. Things without deadlines get postponed for things that do.<P>But then again I chose editing as a career so we know the ol' hands don't spin clockwise in <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> brain grin.gif<P>It's not just old car people either. I see the same thing in all my clubs.<P>Seriously if you guys ever need a little story or something let me know and give me a deadline. wink.gif<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Guest boettger

Sal, I can sympathize with you. Seems like The Iroquois Region Newsletter is always a last minute thing. Been editor now for ten years. Can count on both hands the number of original articles and stories from members. I do insist on a monthly article from the Region president. Last month I thought I was in heaven. Got two delightful articles from members. That takes care of features for two newsletters.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Steve Boettger<BR>'30 DeSoto 8<BR>'59 Nash Metropolitan<BR>'23 Chevrolet Touring<BR>Iroquois Region, AACA Web Site<BR>http://www.aaca.org/iroquois/

Sal~~~ Today is my the deadline for the Richey Region newsletter. I spent yesterday at work correcting the color and printing the Car of The Month. The balance of the letter<BR>will be printed today. It should be in the mail by this evening!!!<BR>Boettger~~~ How in the world did you get two articles? Write a book or patent the process and you will get rich.<BR>Must go to work--<BR>later-jac<BR>

Sal,<BR> I can empathize with you; but in my case it is my own procrastination that gets me in trouble. I am very fortunate that I receive regular monthly input from our club President ( a message to the members and an Auto Facts column), the club secretary, the Classified ads manager, and our Tid Bits (member news) reporter. I also receive National Tour reports from two members and local activity reports from our Vice President. I have a couple commentary columnists that send material as well. One is always several articles ahead, the other generally delivers two or three days after the publishing deadline. My dreaded task is the activities calendar. I glean the Newsletter Exchange for information on as many events as possible and enter it into a table format. I could easily do this early on in the process but generally leave it until last because I don't enjoy assembling all the info. I write a column, usually try to include something technical, look for feature articles on members and their cars, and reprint material from the Rummage Box. Somehow it all comes together each month with something of a theme. I never beg for articles. I use everything original that is contributed, often with heavy editing. I also supplement the member news stuff and the classified ads. I acknowledge every contribution and feature the contributor's name at the head of the article. One of my commentators is extremely controversial and I frequently get asked why I publish his work. As you well know, I'm delighted to receive it! I always make sure that everything is in good taste. I've messed up a few times; but we learn as we go along. Now to the June issue...!<P>jnp

I have found that a lot of begging, crying and even blackmail will work to get poeple to give you artcles. There are the same two or three people that will always come up with something, but I try to get diffrent people to write articles. When they do - -I get excited. <P>Dan

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Boettger & John, I try to prep stuff in advance, I currently have a full years worth of covers ready to go. I also have a file for each month, so if I get a Christmas thing in July I do not loose it. I try to sit down and put together the non time critical stuff in advance, I usually do this about 25% of the time. <BR>I was a speaker at the newsletter editors seminar at Philly, Feb 2000, on the topic of getting material. I was told my talk was well received, but I was looking for additional feedback from the DF. <BR>My wife types and she does a lot. I ghost write the presidents stuff, sometimes I actually get an idea from him on the phone. This month I will have material for two or three short articles about what I did on my recent business and pleasure trip. (Cooperstown, Lake George and West Point New York.) <BR>My usual method is to sit down and do it in one night and copy it the next day at Staples and then the assembly at lunch or that night. The hard part is the folding, labeling, stamping and sealing.SalG

Guest boettger

Yea, Sal. I too have ideas for a few months ahead for the Iroquois Region Newsletter. A couple of folders and a big cluttered file cabinet between my ears. I've found that as soon as I do too much done (ahead of time), something urgent comes up at the least minute that just has to make the current months pub. Pressure is good, helps top keep one as sharp as a dull tack!<BR>I think most regions search out the bussiest member and recruit him/her to be news editor!<P>------------------<BR>Steve Boettger<BR>'30 DeSoto 8<BR>'59 Nash Metropolitan<BR>'23 Chevrolet Touring<BR>Iroquois Region, AACA Web Site<BR>http://www.aaca.org/iroquois/

Sal<P>Whe I took over as editor for the GNYR I had to beg for articles. But I set a deadline for me as to the monday after our general meeting. This way if things come up at the meeting they can be included in the next issue. I have made it mandatory for the president and the membership secretary to give me a report every month. The membership secretary lists the new members. This makes them feel welcome to see their name in print the first month they are with the club. Our past presidents have found that I mean the date of the deadline, as issues have been published without their colum stating that they were off the job. A little embarasing (think that is spelled right) but they got the message. I try and send get our newletter to the members about 1 week before the meeting again to remind them of what is coming up.<P>I also found by producing a good newsletter makes people want to write for it.<BR>

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Ruth, Your right, some things need to be set in stone. But, in the 6 or 7 years I have been a member, your content has been consistant. One thing I see that is different in the GNYR is that your crew always delivers. Stu, Sal C., John, Marty and the rest are always in the newsletter. Members take pride in it, in the VCR it is a who cares attitude with a lot of people. SalG.